Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,387   Online: 1092

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by galyons
    I have a 250 sheet box of badly fogged Kodak Polymax Fine Art paper. Hate to toss it. Any suggestions on getting some positive utility of the paper?

Cheers,
    Geary Lyons
    You could send it to someone who prints in carbon. They could fix it out and use it as a final support.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Do you have a bird in a bird cage?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More ideas.

Treat it as pre-flashed paper and print all your most contrasty negatives.

Fix it and use it as a dry-mount backing to reduce curl.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Proof sheets?
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    use them for paper negatives -- expose a little under + soup in dilute and oxidized ansco 130. you'll be very happy with the results. i've been doing that with olde and fogged polyfiber.
    you can also make sun prints with the paper ... don't run it through developer, and contact print the exposed paper.

DKT

if you do any studio type shots--fog it all the way and process the paper. exposed print paper makes a great black backrgound! same goes for unexposed. some of the cleanest backgrounds I've ever use were on processed print paper....

I can't take credit for this idea--learned it from the smithsonian. they salvaged old rolls of color paper this way.

Send it to me.

I'll give it a good home and bath it in platinum/palladium

Images
    ... give it a good home and bath it in platinum/palladium

My thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas. Quite slipped my mind that I could fix and use for alt processes. I have been collecting the chems to do Kallitypes toned with PT and/or PD, per Sandy's Unblinkingeye article. So now I am blessed with a goodly quantity of pre-sized quality paper!! So much for the old adage about "sow's ears".

Strutting with a "silk purse" thanks to y'all!

Cheers
    Geary Lyons
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a similar quantity. I use a sheet to condition a new tray of paper developer. I then dry mount these back to back with others and use them for dodging an burning sheets and cutouts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fixing and then using for Alt-process (or inkjet printing), as proposed is a clever way to use it.

BUT there is something that you can do that will take advantage of the silver ON the paper... Use it for Vaseline-portraits...

It goes like that: You take some vaseline and rub it all over the subject's face (cover the face completely), then take a sheet of paper and wrap it around the face, trying to make it touch the largest part of the face possible, without damaging it too much.
    Then, you put the paper in a tray with good fresh fix. Then turn the lights on, wash and remove the vaseline. Finally, develop the paper to make the parts that were protected by the vaseline (and were not fixed) darken, fix again and wash as usual. You'll see a strange (but interesting) impression of the face on the paper, white on black.

Using the procedure the other way (first develop, then fix), gives a negative impression of the face, that is black on white.

Since the paper is FB, I am not sure whether all this will work. I cannot be sure whether the vaseline will adhere with the emulsion and will be impossible to remove. I have only seen good results with RC paper, but it's worth trying...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin