Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,071   Online: 992

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aldevo
    JandC,

Thanks for your informative response.

Can we assume, then, that for the time being Forte is still operating and producing paper - if even intermittently?

We've been getting shipments from Forte for the last 3 months. They make to order and there is no problem at the present time getting any of their products.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a box of Forte paper (8x10, 100 sheets VC fiber) about eight months ago and was immensely disappointed. The stuff was totally flat and lacking in contrast. I vowed not to buy any more ever. But, I just ordered some J and C 16x20 paper and understood it to be made by Forte, so I'm hoping that it will meet expectations. But....do I understand that the Forte paper I bought might have aged to the point of being usable? Wow...that would be very cool!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is not a new prolem, I stopped using Forte papers 10 years ago because of inconsistencies. At the time I spoke to the production director at Photokina about this problem his attitude was that I would just have to accept the inconsistencies.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

[QUOTE=jandc]In the old days Forte made paper and then put the rolls in storage for several months to properly age. In the scramble to fend of bankruptcy and with the new production now proceeding they are producing the paper and cutting and shipping as fast as they can. The end result is that the paper coming out has not been aged like it used to be. The paper will stabilize in about 6 months and be much closer to the older paper in performance. QUOTE]

So, I recenlty (last couple of weeks) bought some Polywarmtone 12x16 from you.

Is it possible to figure out how "mature" this would be...?

tim a

[QUOTE=tim]
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    In the old days Forte made paper and then put the rolls in storage for several months to properly age. In the scramble to fend of bankruptcy and with the new production now proceeding they are producing the paper and cutting and shipping as fast as they can. The end result is that the paper coming out has not been aged like it used to be. The paper will stabilize in about 6 months and be much closer to the older paper in performance. QUOTE]

So, I recenlty (last couple of weeks) bought some Polywarmtone 12x16 from you.

Is it possible to figure out how "mature" this would be...?

tim a
    The 50 sheet boxes are old production and are at least a year old. The 25 sheet packages were produced in September. We have been holding recent shipments to age them before marking them as available on the web site which is why we have been slow to get the new products on line. Anything you get from us will be at least 6 months from manufacture.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    out of pure curiosity, do they (Forte) or you (Jandc) store that paper as it ages in any special type of climate? Eg. refrigerated , frozen, room temp??

S.

[QUOTE=jandc]
    Quote Originally Posted by tim

The 50 sheet boxes are old production and are at least a year old. The 25 sheet packages were produced in September. We have been holding recent shipments to age them before marking them as available on the web site which is why we have been slow to get the new products on line. Anything you get from us will be at least 6 months from manufacture.
    great!

thanks

tim

Quote Originally Posted by shyguy
    out of pure curiosity, do they (Forte) or you (Jandc) store that paper as it ages in any special type of climate? Eg. refrigerated , frozen, room temp??

S.
    It's stored by us at around 50 degrees F. Forte has a cool storage room where they store their master rolls. Once it's cut it typically is out the door in a short time.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jon at J&C is very helpfull as usual.

I have very fresh Polywarmtone paper which I recieved from Berlin a few weeks ago. Actually it prints OK but is a lot warmer (brown) toned and reacts very rapidly with selenium toner. But it will settle with age.

Luckily I still have a few hundred sheets of older paper before I need to use it.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    We've been getting shipments from Forte for the last 3 months.
    They make to order and there is no problem at the present time
    getting any of their products.
    Is there ANY way to get a hold of some 5X7? Is there ANY way
    to get a hold of any single weight? A tougher challenge: Is there
    ANY way to get a hold of any 5X7 single weight?

I don't understand the lack of interest in those two on the part
    of suppliers. Small prints, 5X7 and under, are very nice for many
    situations. Single weight was much used in the past. It is
    quicker to process and dry and did sell for less.

I'm only interested in Graded Papers. I would support a large
    purchase of Graded paper only. A few years ago I opted out of
    a less well lighted VC darkroom and now use a more well lighted
    Graded darkroom. Perhaps an email? Dan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin