Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,423   Online: 1203

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    the title to this thread is an oxymoron.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    Is there ANY way to get a hold of some 5X7? Is there ANY way
    to get a hold of any single weight? A tougher challenge: Is there
    ANY way to get a hold of any 5X7 single weight?

I don't understand the lack of interest in those two on the part
    of suppliers. Small prints, 5X7 and under, are very nice for many
    situations. Single weight was much used in the past. It is
    quicker to process and dry and did sell for less.

I'm only interested in Graded Papers. I would support a large
    purchase of Graded paper only. A few years ago I opted out of
    a less well lighted VC darkroom and now use a more well lighted
    Graded darkroom. Perhaps an email? Dan
    I can get you all the graded 5x7 paper you want. It's just a matter of having it cut to that size. However, this is for double weight. Single weight is a problem because manufacturers don't make it and having it made custom requires a lot of up front money in a special production run which likely would not be recouped. If you want to order some in smaller sizes send me an email a sales@jandcphoto.com.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    the title to this thread is an oxymoron.
    I hear Kodak screwed up their entire production run of Azo grade 2 a few months back due to unanticipated changes in their gelatin supply. It made it all the way into production and the sales channel without being dealt with by Kodak.

As supplies of the raw materials for the products we use dry up and fewer and fewer vendors remain you will see more fluctuations in the future than ever before. If the likes of a Kodak with all their labs, chemists, engineers, multi million dollar coating machines etc can't deal with the fluctuations what are the smaller manufacturers to do?
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    If the likes of a Kodak with all their labs, chemists, engineers, multi million dollar coating machines etc can't deal with the fluctuations what are the smaller manufacturers to do?
    So are you saying there is no real hope for consistency?

I'm sure that's not what you are trying to say, but it kind of comes off sounding like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    So are you saying there is no real hope for consistency?

I'm sure that's not what you are trying to say, but it kind of comes off sounding like that.

That's exactly what I am telling you. It's only going to get worse. Think about it. As manufacturers of Gelatin, film base, paper base consolidate their businesses and discontinue products not in high demand the industry will have to make due with what is available. In the past you had Kodak and the other big players driving the production of these materials in huge quantities. Now that Kodak and the others don't need as much and are not buying as much gelatin, paper or film base many of these factories will discontinue products or close up completely as we've seen with several paper manufacturers. Companies will be forced to buy gelatin that may not be ideal for photographic use because that is what's available. None of the current players in Europe can afford to buy Gelatin paper and film base in the huge quantities they did in the past. So they have to order more often in smaller quantities. Sooner or later the stuff they were ordering gets discontinued and they have to make a switch. It's going to happen over and over again because the film industry is contracting. Yes, the manufacturers will try and do whatever they can to keep lot to lot variations at a minimum. But it's going to be an almost impossible task as more and more variables change.

Somewhere down the road It's going to end up being up to the end users to be able to adjust their processes to the materials that are available. In the long run it's probably a small price to pay for the continued availability of the products.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jandc,

You're bringing up an interesting point.

I have had two retailers inform me that their Kodak reps. told them that the real reason B&W paper was discontinued was because the new German paper base supplier could not manufacture the bases for Polycontrast IV and Polymax FB consistently to spec.

I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I have had two retailers inform me that their Kodak reps. told them"
    ... to blame someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    I hear Kodak screwed up their entire production run of Azo grade 2 a few months back due to unanticipated changes in their gelatin supply.
    hardly unaticipated - Kodak closed their main plant that produced the stuff didn't (in Mass. or somehwere close I think)

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    hardly unaticipated - Kodak closed their main plant that produced the stuff didn't (in Mass. or somehwere close I think)
    You mean this plant?

http://www.eastmangel.com/index.html
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought some Polygrade V and PolyWarmtone about a 18 months ago and had trouble getting new prints of old negs that I'd previously printed on those papers to look the same as before. So I gave up and switched to a entirely different paper for those negs and gave them a completely different look (Agfa MCC).

But I hadn't heard about the aging issue with Forte papers, so perhaps I'll try the Forte again. How long does a box of Forte paper last in room temperature conditions? I haven't refridgerated it, it's just been in a box in a drawer in my darkroom, 70 to 85 degrees F all this time. Likely to still be good?

I'll know for sure tomorrow, as I now plan to try printing on it again.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin