Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,292   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Film small spots and black points.

Hi, sorry for my little english... I'm italian
    I have a problem that I do not succeed to resolve. On some films (the
    greater part) I do not succeed to eliminate of the spots and most annoying
    black points. I thought initially next to the powder... but for my method
    standard I do not succeed myself to explain why of alternation of "perfect"
    films and "disastrous" films... you could help me? They are of the small
    spots and black points that I do not succeed to understand what are. I use
    demineralized water for all the process of development... comprised the
    washing. I use chemical new that I dilute only little before the
    development... I dry the film in a closed closet... If someone has interest
    I can send one small scansion of film. Thanks and bye.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What brand of film are you using?
    I know sometime ago Ilford had a batch of film that had specks in the emulsion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The only time I have seen spots on 35mm film is when the stop bath was too strong and it lifted the emulsion off in small spots. These then print black. Try a water stop bath and see if that is the problem. Another problem could be air bells, or bubbles, that keep developer from the area of film. That is one reason for the vigorous agitation at the begining.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not believe that the problem is brand of film... I believe that problem is of chemical. I give used Microdol-X with Kodak Plus-X and Neofin Blue with TMax100... Kodak Stop Bath... Afga Agefix... Two washings with demineralized water... One washing with Hypo... 15' washing with demineralized water... 5' with 0,5 cc Ilfotol...

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Kodak Stop bath
    With the advised dilution for films... 1+17... if memory well...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Napoli are the spots on the negatives or on the prints? 5 minutes sounds like a long time for that last wash but I can't see that being a big issue. Are you making the Ilfotol fresh? You don't really need distilled water for everything. Odds are tap water will be okay until the Ilfotol.

Shooter
    35mm
    The black spots are on the negative... they are white on the print. The solution with Ilfotol is new for every film (its cost is low)... The water of the tap has much limestone and after several experimentations the final bath with Ilfotol for 5' is ok... I does not believe that the problem is this.... Or not?
    Last edited by naples59; 06-20-2005 at 05:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Naples59,
    Are you using an acidic stop bath? If not, that may explain the dark spots. When I developed Fomapan 100, I had severe problems with dark spots and streaks. Initially, I didn't use a stop bath - just water. Later, I found that the stop bath eliminated these spots (1% AcOH for 15 seconds, before adding the fix). I pressume, the spots may be the result of remaining salts that reacts with the fix, therefore they need to be washed away by a (low pH) stop bath.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Kodak Max Stop Bath... I do not know if it is an acidic stop bath...
    Someone knows it?

Shooter
    35mm
    We had "spot problems" with Forte film at one workshop. It was 100ISO film developed in Rodinal. As stop bath we used plain water. Spot were white in negatives (printed black), and quite randomly placed, if I recall right. Teachers supposed that the film was defected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin