Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,786   Online: 991

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Efke 25 not clear?

I'm shooting Efke 25 in sheet film, and although the film clears, the base seems to have a slight brownish grey tinge. Has anyone else witnessed this? My fixer tests ok, but I'll probably discard it for a new batch. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What dev are you using? Some devs will stain the film, even Microdol-X, although it's not thought of as a staining dev.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I develop it in rodinal in a large tank without any problems yet. I've been using water stop. The maple river shot in my photo section is efke 25.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Normal base for this film is a very slight pink or purple cast. Not sure about my description or color vision, but it is certainly not clear or water white. You might try a couple of drops of acid in your stop bath if you are using water, that or the fixer, but try the acid first. I use a glass rod to add three drops of 28% to 100ml of water for tube development with 4x5 for a stop bath. No pin holes from gas eruptions, but watch out for too much acid with this emulsion. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80
    I'm shooting Efke 25 in sheet film, and although the film clears, the base seems to have a slight brownish grey tinge. Has anyone else witnessed this? My fixer tests ok, but I'll probably discard it for a new batch. Thanks.
    Yep, I noticed this too. I developed it (5x7 sheet) in Pyrocat-HD and it is a brownish sort of pink. Fresh fix 6 minutes. I suspect it's a mild general stain on top of the natural base. Oh for the days of Agfa pure gray bases.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80
    The base itself is a very slight gray. The pink is unremoved anti halo dye. Presoaking and a soak in sodium sulfite after fixing generally removes all of it.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    jandc
    sodium sulfate? or sulfite?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    jandc
    sodium sulfate? or sulfite?
    Thanks for catching my typo. I corected it in the above post to avoid confusion.
    www.jandcphoto.com

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found that on my Fomapan 100, the sulfite post-soak works much better if the bath contains some sodium carbonate as well -- I use 2% sodium sulfite plus 1 tsp carbonate per liter, and it clears the blue dye from Fomapan sheets (where they contacted the interior of my developing tubes) in about two minutes.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe Kodak HCA does this as well. If you prefer to buy something pre-packed of course.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin