Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,281   Online: 765

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASA n/a ???

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

ASA n/a ???

I have been looking at the massive development chart on digitaltruth.com and see some film speeds as n/a (not applicable).

Can someone explain how a film speed can not be important when choosing which development time to use.

Regards,
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It simply means that at a certain film speed the developer will not give good results. Also, I might be that no data on the combination is available.

Regards

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How is one to know which film speed will work or not?
    The chart still gave developing times?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peter,

Test for yourself and contribute the data if you get acceptable results. It helps to know the properties of the film and developer you want to use.

I was really surprised not to find times for HP5+ @200 in Rodinal 1+50 on the list before. I tried and tested and sent in the result for 135 and 120 format.

G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for your views Geert & Hans. I still don't understand why they show a dev time & temperature without any film speed but I agree about testing as some of the info on digitaltruth is a little off.

I hope that's a Leffe beer your having in you profile picture Geert.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If there is no speed listed, then I'd assume the times are for the film's "box" speed.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Massive Dev Chart is made up, in part, of user-supplied times. Thus, my guess is that somebody submitted a development time but neglected to mention the film speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW, don't forget that development also depends on the method of agitation: by hand (multiple varieties) or in a rotary drum.
    In the best case, the times at Digitaltruth are only a starting point for your personal dev. combo.

Quote Originally Posted by thefizz
    I hope that's a Leffe beer your having in you profile picture Geert.
    It's shaken Rodinal disguised as Leffe

G
    Last edited by argus; 06-24-2005 at 02:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just had a look at the dev chart and the films I saw with the NA were infrared and ortho films. Here is a quote from Kodak's web site about their infrared film:

Film speed: Normal ISO speed values do not apply. Make trial exposures under typical conditions. With a KODAK WRATTEN Filter No. 25, try a setting of EI 50 (daylight) or EI 125 (tungsten) and bracketed ± 2 stops
    I imagine that because of the limited sensitivity of ortho films, that they present a similar problem for metering, but I am not really sure about that. Otherwise, I didn't find any other instances of the NA being listed for the film speed. There were a few where the film speed was listed as ? and I can only assume that was a case where the info that they received was incomplete but they still deemed it useful.

I hope this helps,

Paul.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Paul, yes it was IR film I was checking but as some times included film speed I thought it strange for some not to. I still think it's pointless providing dev times without film speeds. I have since done a little trial & error and have nailed down a good combination for Maco 820 Aura.

I ended up with dev time of 10 & half minutes in rodinal 1:14 exposing the film at 100ASA and making the necessary exposure adjustments for filters. Next I want to try Rodinal at a more dilute mix.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin