Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,270   Online: 1110

Thread: Tri-x in XTOL

Shooter
    Medium Format

Tri-x in XTOL

I have a few rolls of tri-x (400tx) in 35mm, some shot at 200 and some at 400 and intend to develop them in XTOL. I have never used tri-x or XTOL before so I was wondering if you guys have any guide as to starting times for 1:1? The massive dev chart has so many entries which vary widely, so I thought I'd ask here since I trust the advice given here more.

The rolls shot at 200 are street shot in fairly contrasty light and those at 400 in flat light and are candid portraits.

I realise I should do my own tests but thought I'd ask for a ballpark figure since this is a combo I've seen motioned around here before.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used the times in the Film Developing Cookbook and had good results. At 1:1 400 iso, 8.75 minutes. You milage may vary. Btw, I like Xtol at 70 deg's at least. Xtol diluted down gives better acutance but still gives good grain. For 35mm I'd stay at 1:1 or even straight up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    P.S. The chart gives 8 minutes at a 200 iso rating. I've never pulled it tho.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tri-X in XTOL 1+3 is also very good and maybe more economical for you as well, as long as you can fit the required 100ml of stock solution into your tank at that dilution. The starting numbers I used were lifted straight from "The Massive Dev Chart". I've made some slight up and down adjustments to compensate a bit for different lighting conditions, but these nubmers work well as a start. Your own personal time will of course be yours. Don't worry too much, in fact not at all, about the two different designations for Tri-X. Some of the numbers reflect development times for the previous formulation of this film. In practice, the numbers are so close as to be insignificant.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear m_liddell,

Download the Xtol data sheet from Kodak.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe....7.20.14&lc=en

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want try Rodinal with Tri-X, for the 200ASA, I use 1:50, 10min at 20*C give me great results, details everywhere, just a bit grainny.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Xtol+Tri-X

Quote Originally Posted by m_liddell
    I have a few rolls of tri-x (400tx) in 35mm, some shot at 200 and some at 400 and intend to develop them in XTOL. I have never used tri-x or XTOL before so I was wondering if you guys have any guide as to starting times for 1:1? The massive dev chart has so many entries which vary widely, so I thought I'd ask here since I trust the advice given here more.

The rolls shot at 200 are street shot in fairly contrasty light and those at 400 in flat light and are candid portraits.

I realise I should do my own tests but thought I'd ask for a ballpark figure since this is a combo I've seen motioned around here before.

Thanks!
    I've never had any problems with developing multi-speed rolls @ the same time. Of course, I've been processing since 1978, and have gotten things down to my own preferences. Using my eye to judge exposure with my Rolleis, and large formats, too.

Back to the subject @ hand, I've NEVER diluted X-tol, I prefer is straight, @ 20c for 6min, with standard agitation.

Attached is an example of "eyeing" my exposure, souped in X-tol as stated above.

Rolleijoe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love Xtol + Tri-X and use it a lot -- a little bit more than Rodinal in fact (sorry Morten)

Xtol 1+1 standard time -- it may be self-delusional voodoo but I usually skip the last one or two agitations to capitalize on a slight compensating-developer effect.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin