Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,141   Online: 908

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Undiluted Rodinal - What colour should it be?

Was given a few chemicals by someone clearing out their bits for bytes which included a 1L bottle of Rodinal. Trouble is that the colour is chocolate brown. What colour is the undiluted stuff supposed to be?

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Don't worry about the color. When it's 'new' it is a very dark ice tea color. As it ages it gets much darker but still works fine. Just use it as normal. It should be fine unless someone replaced it with Hershey Fudge Sauce.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mike

I have some duplicate shots from todays excursion which I will experiment on tomorrow

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As an aside: Don't worry if you find some precipitate in the bottom of the bottle. All Rodinal bottles do this eventually, and it doesn't matter at all.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, I think it works better after it starts to look like coca cola..and it's a lot easier for me to tell I added it to some water when it is older when using a dil of 1+100. The stuff seems to last forever, which is the main reason I started using it.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brand new it is quite pale. When it is old it is darker. No matter what they say, fresh Rodinal is better. The precipitate at the bottom of old Rodinal is the encoded secret secret recipe for Guinness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    ...No matter what they say, fresh Rodinal is better.
    That may be true, but in practice I'm hard put to tell the difference. Granted, I'm not a big Rodinal user so I may be missing something. I have developed enough film to see when something has gone off and I just don't see it with fresh vs. old Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=fschifano]That may be true, but in practice I'm hard put to tell the difference. [...] QUOTE]

You have to taste fresh Rodinal to know the difference.

Images
    The ideal color of Rodinal is chocolate brown, or whatever comes out of the bottle.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more vote of confidence - I had a 1/3 of a bottle given to me after a friend had it on his shelf for years. Used it (brown as Coca Cola) to the last drop - worked great. Cannot tell the difference between new and old in practice. I think it looks better brown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin