Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,415   Online: 895

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't think there is a definite relationship between scanned image and print image, scanned good may not print good and vise versa.

What I do is scan the film strip (6 frames for 35mm format), that way, I can compare the film to each other without individual adjusting, that will give me an idea about the exposure. For sharpness, better get a loupe and light table, that will tell you, or do a real print, that's the best way to judge if the negative is good or bad.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    "curves" and "levels"???
    There, there Brad, don't be confused. It's just Photoshop talk. It's only important if you want to make images look good in photoshop.

Levels sets the maximum black, pure white and middle grey.
    Curves changes contrast.

We should stop such talk on this forum... :rolleyes:
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pmu
    ...How do you see the "real" image quality (sharpness, contrast, shadow detail etc.) on your films when using scanner?... ...So, how do I figure out if I am doing something "wrong" and could get that same results with other films and developers WITHOUT needing to use PS? Is there any idea trying other films and developers because those scannersoftware/setting still have so big role in how the image appears on those films too!?
    With something like this, or with printing on paper... You shoot, you test, you either don't like it and adjust something... Or you like the results and leave it.

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be...

If your results are to be printed on paper, test with paper and don't get hung up on the digital... If your goal is digital, test for that... If it's a mix... Then do the best you can to learn to adjust your scanning to the print version.

Just my idea,

joe

pmu

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn
    With something like this, or with printing on paper... You shoot, you test, you either don't like it and adjust something... Or you like the results and leave it.

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be...

If your results are to be printed on paper, test with paper and don't get hung up on the digital... If your goal is digital, test for that... If it's a mix... Then do the best you can to learn to adjust your scanning to the print version.

Just my idea,

joe
    By adjusting those mentioned levels and curves tools I can get the result I want. I would definitely like to do prints in the traditional way but at the moment it's not possible. It would suck really bad if later I would find out that these images which I can make look just the way I like with scanner/computer, looked like crap when prints were done in the traditional way....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richardmellor
    I have heard that pmk pyro developed negatives ,scan well .
    I will be trying this soon
    I have started to see that unsharp mask is not your friend.
    It seems to make grain nice and sharp.
    I have scanned many negatives developed in staining developers, primarily PMK and Pyrocat-HD. Negatives from both developers have scanned very well, much better IMO than films developed in traditional developers such as D76 and Rodinal. The stain appears to minimize grain in scanning, as much or perhaps even more, than in projection printing.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 06-30-2005 at 11:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richardmellor
    I have heard that pmk pyro developed negatives ,scan well .
    I will be trying this soon
    I have started to see that unsharp mask is not your friend.
    It seems to make grain nice and sharp.
    Sometimes I think unsharp masking in digital creates grain, or at least the appearance of it. When overdone in analog, it sometimes makes the picture look like layers of cutouts.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    Sometimes I think unsharp masking in digital creates grain, or at least the appearance of it. When overdone in analog, it sometimes makes the picture look like layers of cutouts.
    No question about it. Careless use of unsharp masking can very definitely increase the appearance of grain in a digital negative or print. The proper use of unsharp masking is something of an art in itself.

Sandy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin