Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,064   Online: 806

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bergger film

Shooter
    Digital Negs

photography paper

[QUOTE=titrisol]Actually developing your own film it's a lot easier than you think and can be done in the kitchen sink.
    All you need is to load the developing tank in the bathroom (assuming it is dark) or in a changing bag or a closet.

A sink...ah yes. I have one or two of those. No, I wouldn't want to put anything in the sinks in my brooklyn apartment. Especially film. Every see Rocky's apartment in Rocky I? Even though that takes place in Philly, that's called a deluxe suite compared t where I live!

If I do decide to develop it on my own, I need to use the right type of paper...any recommendations?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richardmellor
    bit off topic: whenever I am in N.Y.C I stop at b&h.
    and katzs deli in the lower east side ,great black and white photos on the wall . and the last place in north america that makes real pastrami sandwichs
    ...good luck with your film project

But! but! Let us not forget about our Montreal's very own Schwartz who makes real smoked beef brisket on rye, and universally known as simply "smoked meat".

We have authentic bagels too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by inkedmagazine
    A sink...ah yes. I have one or two of those. No, I wouldn't want to put anything in the sinks in my brooklyn apartment. Especially film. Every see Rocky's apartment in Rocky I? Even though that takes place in Philly, that's called a deluxe suite compared t where I live!

If I do decide to develop it on my own, I need to use the right type of paper...any recommendations?
    You can process film easily with a changing bag, a daylight tank, a few bottles, a graduate, and a thermometer, but printing will be a little more involved and will require a dark space. If you check the "Darkroom Portraits" thread, you can see a couple of pictures of my Manhattan dark/bathroom to give you some ideas.

Before worrying about what kind of paper you need (Ilford MGIV RC would be a good paper to start with), start by processing film.

If you want to do your own contact sheets, that would be a good next step. All you would need would be a contact proofer (this is easiest with 35mm film, but you could also get by with a sheet of glass and a foam pad), and either trays or you could use a daylight print drum and roller base for processing if space is particularly tight. I usually set up three 11x14" trays plus a washer tray in my bathtub, and I can get creative and use three 16x20" trays, but for large prints up to 20x24", I have print drums.

Once you get that far, you can have a lab make prints until you're ready to think about how to set up a darkroom in a small space.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not necesarilly, you can develop your own film and use one of those digital thingies... scanners, to get the pictures in your computer

Then you can go to a real darkroom to make prints.

Developing film and making prints are 2 different steps that can be carried out separately

When you decide is time to start printing I'd recoomend AGFA MC papers, the reisn coated is very good and I believe is excellent for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by inkedmagazine
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sounds like you don't have any experience developing film. It sounds intimidating but is real easy. If you ever plan on being in Nassau County let me know. We can develop your film together so you can see what it is all about. I have D-76 and Rodinal so that should cover most film choices.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    I wouldn't know. It was in a white Bergger Box with the usual info. I am tempted to try it. But I don't want to blow some potentially good street shots if I don't like or don't handle the film properly in processing. At the booth there were some beautifuly printed photos shot and printed on their products.
    I've been doing the Bergger=Fotepan tests with my RolleiTLR w/Planar lens. And if there are any differences, I can't find them. Beautiful silver-rich scans. When I get my darkroom back up & going, will do some printing on (most likely) Forte grade 3 paper.

I souped in HC-110 1:51 straight from the syrup, 68F for 6.5 minutes in a Patterson tank. I've enclosed a couple of examples. The living room (just moving in @ the time) was available light Bergger, the cat is Fortepan w/flash. Tonality similar enough, and price cheap enough for me to try more Fortepan!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Was berger film rebranded forte?
    Apparently, Bergger makes nothing of their own. They hold the patents, formulas, etc., based on an old French company (starts with a "G"), but someone else makes all their stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    ... based on an old French company (starts with a "G")
    That would be Guilleminot. They made Fred Picker's (R.I.P.) Zone VI Brilliant paper. That was nice stuff...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin