Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,896   Online: 1151

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good to know I'm not the only one buying weird stuff from Peace St.

Quote Originally Posted by DKT
    John--there's a store in my town, that has a few bottles of TEC on the shelf...most of that stuff hasn't moved very well. I'm one of the few customers they have who actually seems to be buying the darkroom stuff still. LPD was similar in some ways. I had to order it by the case, and it wasn't until maybe 5 yrs ago, that they started to stock it on the shelves. They still have an odd assortment though--TEC, TST developer, FG7, TG7, accufine, diafine etc. this store stocks sprint, nacco, kodak, ilford, agfa and the BKA products though--just not in huge quantities.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    Ethol Blue is no longer manufactured even though BKA lists an MSDS for it.

Adorama lists "Neofin Blue" from the Formulary, but has no info on it. B&H carries Formulary products, but doesn't list this dev. Formualry itself doesn't even list it, at least that I could find. I don't know whether Ethol Blue was/is their version of Neofin Blue/Beutler; anyone know anything about this one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    Adorama lists "Neofin Blue" from the Formulary, but has no info on it. B&H carries Formulary products, but doesn't list this dev. Formualry itself doesn't even list it, at least that I could find. I don't know whether Ethol Blue was/is their version of Neofin Blue/Beutler; anyone know anything about this one?
    I don't know anything about the developer, but JandC carries it.

http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=109

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ethol Blue was a very energetic developer containing Metol, hydroquinone and sodium hydroxide. It bore no resemblence to Neofin Blue. From the MSDS I suspect it was similar to the modified Kalogen formula published in the Dignan Newletter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My historical knowledge of European chemistry is limited. But I believe Tetenal makes, or did make, Neofin Blue (Blau) for slow films and Neofin Red (Rot) for fast films. Blau, as Paul correctly states, is available at J and C.

This may be too broad a generalization for the nit-pickers out there, but my experience has been that Neofin Blau is virtually identical (in results) to Ethol T.E.C.

Even though both developers are advertised for use with slow films, I have had outstanding results with Tri-X and HP-5 Plus. These developers make no attempt to either disguise nor magnify inherent film grain.

You have to forgo movement, color and sound with b&w still photography. All you have left is superior acutance (sharpness) over all other media. To maximize this single advantage in the face of so many "disadvantages", this type of developer is the answer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Neofin Blue and Ethol Blue are NOT the same. Ethol Blue was a high dilutions developer that was accually colored blue- hense the name. It also contains Hydroquinone which Neofin does not.
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

DKT

yeah--it came in a little eight ounce or so clear bottle--and the developer had a weak navy blue color actually. I used to push film with it, and it was anything but fine grained. not especially easy on your negs--gritty, chalky tonality, chunky grain....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin