Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,436   Online: 1152

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

The Ethol net question

Even though Ethol still makes their chemistry( UFG,TEC,LPD), How come I never see them mentioned on forum threads? I only had a short love affair with LPD. That stuff sure could last in an open tray. But then I was lured away by liguid developers when it started disappearing from shelves. Any one out there working in the Ethol-sphere?
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

DKT

lots of people use LPD...I have for years, both powder and liquid. very user friendly, easy to replenish, if you want to go that route or you can get a wide range of tones out of it through dilution. metol free. It's still around--carried by Brandess kalt. Same distribution pretty much as accufine, diafine and heico products like permawash and NH5. One product that seems to be gone, is ethol blue though....

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    we use a lot of their chemistry.

LPD has been our standard developer for at least 10 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    have never used it gary, but did notice while in that little town to the east of us (Dallas) a couple of weeks ago, there was someone buying some of the very same LPD at one of the Dallas camera stores...just dropped in to see what they had, Think she bought about 6 cans of the stuff. If you are interested in the name of the place, PM me and I will look it up...it was one of those deals where I was over there for training and passed by a camera shop and well..you know how it is, can't pass up a chance to stop at a camera store.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some companies just don't seem to push thier product like others do. Ethol/BKA seems to be one of these; at least to me. I've tried most of the Ethol line and found them to be just what they say they are. I did like LPD the one time I used it. I don't really know why I don't use their products moe often. Perhaps it's because they aren't "in my face" like the X-Tols, Rodinals are.

One dev I always wanted to try again is Ethol 90. It was a powder in the usual little can that you mixed into a stock solution. As I remember, you could shoot Tri-x at a very high speed (EI 6400???) and soup it for 90 sec., 1+0 (or was it at 90F--or both?) and get very printable negs with pretty fine grain. I'll bet Ethol 90 is no longer made; haven't seen it in 10 years.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Don't they also make Acufine, Acu-1, and Diafine? They get some attention. I use Acufine.

I like their marketing approach--use the same packaging they've used for at least 40 years. What else comes in a can anymore?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Don't they also make Acufine, Acu-1, and Diafine? They get some attention. I use Acufine.

I like their marketing approach--use the same packaging they've used for at least 40 years. What else comes in a can anymore?
    BNK distributes both products, but they are manufactured by two different companies.

The trivia part is that both UFG and Acufine were formulated by the same man.
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no writers in magazines pushing for their products.... IMHO
    Mama took my APX away.....

DKT

well, back when C&D magazine was around, they used to mention LPD quite a bit. 'course, Camera & Darkroom is history now, like so many other good photo magazines. almost none of them really push any products anymore, other than digital. LPD is kind of a workhorse developer though, I'm not sure how much advertising they really need. It's like advertising dektol.

if you look at heico for example--BKA distributes them as well--and heico doesn't really exist anymore as far as photo chemicals, afik. Its' BKA pretty much. It could be the same way with ethol, and accufine for all I know.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ethol T.E.C. (which stands for thin emulsion compensating) is a liquid high acutance film developer, sold in 4-ounce brown glass bottles and diluted 1:15.

Absolutely the finest of its type. I worked my way through Art Center making wet-mounted big Kodak murals from 35mm Panatomic-X developed in this product. The grain was tack-sharp, super-tiny and resembled a fine pencil sketch at this magnification (five feet).

I read somewhere that Leica recommends it as their developer of choice.

Once the bottle is opened, you need to refrigerate the remainder and use it up within a week. Very short shelf life.

Difficult to find. Last year I called Calumet looking for some. They didn't know if they had any or if not, when they could get more. Not in any mood to go out of their way to sell me a case. So I let it slide.

You reminded me I should maybe try again. Someone must want my money...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin