Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,082   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Stand Development (Tank)

As well as LF, I am now into MF (120 film). I have used “Stand Development” for 4x5 film using a “slosher” that provides 6-separate compartments for each sheet of film. This is what I have used thus far. Now that I am into 120 films that requires development in tanks, is there enough space for developer between film layers to avoid excessive exhaustion of the dilute developer solutions that must be used? Stated another way, has anyone successfully used “Stand Development” for 120 roll film in a tank? Feedback would be appreciated.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've tried, and it worked so well I've done it repeatedly. Fx-2 at half strength, any film at 90 minutes with agitation the first 30 seconds and again after 30 minutes.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

It's worked fine for me in 120 film using Rodinal @ 1+100 and 1+200.

My preference however is for 1+100 and minimal agitation rather than pure stand development.

Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by P C Headland
    Hi

It's worked fine for me in 120 film using Rodinal @ 1+100 and 1+200.

My preference however is for 1+100 and minimal agitation rather than pure stand development.

Paul
    What were the temps and times used when using Rodinal, I have wanted to try this but have no idea as to what time to use. I have been shooting mostly Arista 400 Professional.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    John Sexton assembled some "slosher" trays for MF film out of inexpensive, off-the-shelf items that appear to be very promising. He used vinyl roof gutters with end caps (caulked to ensure water tightness). He tapes the 120 film to a long, thin length of acrylic plastic to hold the film flat and emulsion side up. This film "sandwich" is submersed in the tray and is processed in the same way as with the sheet film slosher. FWIW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs003
    What were the temps and times used when using Rodinal, I have wanted to try this but have no idea as to what time to use. I have been shooting mostly Arista 400 Professional.
    For years I thought I was the only one who admitted to using stand development for 120. I'd been called crazy too often. It is clear that there are some experienced persons here who have had similar good results.

Speaking here of 120 APX 100 and Rodinal 1:150 or 1:200: Temperature: high enough to be sure the developer can be active; I use 65 to 75F. Time: Long enough to exhaust the developer. With Rodinal 1:150 or 1:200, AXP 100, and a conventional Nikor tank for two rolls, the time merely has to be at least 45 minutes. I use one hour. Agitation: 30 seconds at the start, and rap the tank to remove air bubbles. Gentle agitation of one inversion every 15 minutes, although I've used none whatsoever with the same results.

Outcome is N-1 for my printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I've tried, and it worked so well I've done it repeatedly. Fx-2 at half strength, any film at 90 minutes with agitation the first 30 seconds and again after 30 minutes.
    Ole what is FX-2 and did you develope ROLL film in a tank?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    For years I thought I was the only one who admitted to using stand development for 120. I'd been called crazy too often. It is clear that there are some experienced persons here who have had similar good results.

Speaking here of 120 APX 100 and Rodinal 1:150 or 1:200: Temperature: high enough to be sure the developer can be active; I use 65 to 75F. Time: Long enough to exhaust the developer. With Rodinal 1:150 or 1:200, AXP 100, and a conventional Nikor tank for two rolls, the time merely has to be at least 45 minutes. I use one hour. Agitation: 30 seconds at the start, and rap the tank to remove air bubbles. Gentle agitation of one inversion every 15 minutes, although I've used none whatsoever with the same results.

Outcome is N-1 for my printing.
    What is your total liquid volume and minimum amount of Rodinal per 120 roll? I'd think that this is important in developing to exhaustion, and I'm about to try it myself. Also, what EI do you use?

Thanks,
    Lee

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    Ole what is FX-2 and did you develope ROLL film in a tank?
    FX-2 in one of Crowley's developers, a really nice non-solvent developer. Photographer's Formulary sells a variant of it, or you can mix your own.

I develop all my roll film and 35mm in a paterson plastic tank. Stand development works just fine there - as it does in my otherwise useless "Johnson's Cutplate Developing Tank" for 4x5" and 9x12cm.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee, I only do two rolls in a standard Nikor (approx 32oz) tank. I have not tried four rolls in a larger Nikor tank of twice the liquid capacity. Intuition tells me that the outcome would be the same, but intuition doe not always work. Perhaps someone else can help us in this regard.

EI: 100 with APX 100.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin