Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,675   Online: 740

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ADOX films = Ilford

The ADOX films are ISO125 and ISO400, and even J&C marks it as being similar to FP4 and HP5 (which means they are likely Ilford OEM).
    It'll be interesting to see how long they can keep doing that, since all other Ilford OEM products have been deleted due to price increases.

Quote Originally Posted by abeku
    I'm also interrested in the ADOX FB papers. Since the Efke films are relabelled to Adox by Fotoimpex, I wonder if the ADOX papers also are made by Emaks (Efke)?
    If so, they probably are very good...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I ordered some ADOX 400, both 120 and 35mm, when I asked for developement times JC stated that 400 in both 120 and 35 is HP5.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've been trying the Adox classic fiber (J&C Expo) for Lith printing; but haven't mastered it yet. It produces an interesting chocolate brown appearance especially as Lith developer nears exhaustion; but the "grainy" pattern is too strong for my taste. Maybe I just haven't determined proper snatch time for this paper.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    The Expo graded responds very well to toners and to amidol. This is a characteristic of older style softer emulsions. Don't know about the VC, but it's a good bet.
    David, did you do a fog test for that paper? The darkroom that I have access to has red lights by the enlargers, but orange neons above the developing trays. Any guess as to how it could risk fogging? JandC put a warning to that matter on their website.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't tested it specifically, but I haven't had a problem with it. My dark/bathroom is underlit with a Jobo Maxilux LED safelight (eventually, I should add another one), so I'm not likely to have a problem anyway.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vario Classic Paper

A few years back I used some paper called "Vario Classic" from Fotoimpex Germany. It is a cooltone FB paper very similar in tone to Ilford's RC cooltone paper. I didn't care much for the paper as I had a hard time getting good shadow separation. I fought with it for a while but never did get happy with it. FWIW the Ilford cooltone behaved similarly.

I don't know if it is the same as the Adox paper but there is an Adox "Vario Classic". The other "classic" papers from Fotoimpex were quite nice. Most folks suspect those are made by Forte.

Mike D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by huggyviking
    The ADOX films are ISO125 and ISO400, and even J&C marks it as being similar to FP4 and HP5 (which means they are likely Ilford OEM).
    It'll be interesting to see how long they can keep doing that, since all other Ilford OEM products have been deleted due to price increases.
    You are right about those films, most likely of Ilford origin. What I had in mind was the KB25/50/100 films that have been around for a long time. Photax.se have been selling them under the Efke brand for decades and I saw recently that Fotoimpex have relabelled, or are going to relabel, them as Adox films.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The ADOX 25/50/100 are the same as EFKE. The ADOX paper is also made by the producer of EFKE, "Fotokemika". I have used the multigrade ones under the name of "Varycon". They can be great papers for some uses, but they take a bit getting used to. Especially when lith printing they tend to give strangely pink highlights with lots of pepper in the shadows. Some of them also have an extremely long shoulder, so that you never reach Dmax with a "normal" negative...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Especially when lith printing they tend to give strangely pink highlights with lots of pepper in the shadows. Some of them also have an extremely long shoulder, so that you never reach Dmax with a "normal" negative...

Ole what sort of Lith developer were you using? Sounds interesting once the weather cools down enough to mail order stuff.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Eh - I think it was the MACOlith one that gave the funniest pinks. There was a sample in the Technical gallery, I'll see if it's still there. If not, i'll see if I still have the file.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin