Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,976   Posts: 1,523,643   Online: 1090

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanksfolks, it looks like MGIV RC is the way to go then.

Bob, yes my enlarger has a colour head, it's a Meopta Opemus 6 Color 3. It came complete with timer, contact sheet printing frame, cropping frame, Meosix color 1 colour analyser, and different neg carriers and condensers for 35mm and 6x6, and also with Meopta Anaret 4.5/50mm and Meopta Anaret 4.5/80mm lenses.

Thank you all for being so helpful.

Andy.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Thanksfolks, it looks like MGIV RC is the way to go then.

Bob, yes my enlarger has a colour head, <snip>

Andy.
    In that case, if you haven't found it already, the "Contrast Control" document from the Ilford site at (http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/bw.html) that tells you which colour head filter settings to use to obtain each contrast grade on Ilford paper will come in useful.

Have fun! Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Andy,

Ilford MGIV RC is an excellent choice. Nova Darkrooms have had good offers, but then their postage charge is a bit hefty.
    http://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/ have good prices, though I've not used em.
    I get my 10x8 RC paper from 7dayshop.com, price is good and I get all my film and consumables from them anyway.
    The pearl version of MGIV is much nicer than the glossy, but do get some glossy for your contact prints.

Also once you are starting to get the hang of things, get some KRS (Kodak rapid selenium). Use a strong dillution of say 1+4 to 1+6 for MGIV RC, and watch those shadows deepen and the green tinge change to blue. Every MGIV print I do RC, or fibre, I dunk in strong selenium. Mix it in distilled water and keep reusing it till it dies, which takes ages, just remeber to keep your fingers out of it.

And silverprint has an excellent range of fibre papers, chemicals and toners at reasonable (ish) prices for when you get really into it.

Have fun, and let us know how you get on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin