Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,239   Online: 1111

Shooter
    35mm

My experience with the Foma b&w slide kit

Hi, I'm here writing about my experience (or a nightmare should I say ) about using the Foma b&w slide kit. I must be honest: I've only tried with an Ilford Fp4+, shots taken @100. I've followed religiously the kit instructions and added only a fix hardener along with the fixer given by Foma. The hardener is an alum based (Tetenal Harter). I must say the picture turned out well: the only drawback is that the emulsion literally peeled off the base.
    What the hell is that? Emulsion peeled off?

I know that this can happen if a too acidic solution come in contact with the film but, being the kit specifically tailored to b&w film negative, why ever I have experienced this? :o

Someone hopefully can shed light on this.

P.S.: still haven't tried the foma 100r film sold for this kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alessandro -- see my reply to your question on photo.net. Reversal-processed film is really fragile because the acid in the bleach really does a number on the gelatin. You have to be careful not to physically damage the film. (No squeegeeing, etc.) Maybe the Foma 100R film is specially hardened at the factory or something. In any case I think some of the damage may be happening before you can even harden the film in the fixer. Maybe try a shorter bleach time, or lower bleach temperature? What bleach does this kit use, permanganate (purple) or dichromate (orange)?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    Alessandro -- see my reply to your question on photo.net. Reversal-processed film is really fragile because the acid in the bleach really does a number on the gelatin. You have to be careful not to physically damage the film. (No squeegeeing, etc.) Maybe the Foma 100R film is specially hardened at the factory or something. In any case I think some of the damage may be happening before you can even harden the film in the fixer. Maybe try a shorter bleach time, or lower bleach temperature? What bleach does this kit use, permanganate (purple) or dichromate (orange)?
    Permanganate, dichromate is too dangerous...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin