Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,214   Posts: 1,532,119   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's OK, Mike 8-)
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Perhaps I'm getting old. (Correction: I am getting old.)

But does it seem odd to anyone besides me that one of the best features of the most expensive Canon EOS is the switch panel which allows me to shut off all that foolish automation I just paid for?

On the cheap models, you are stuck with it.

Kind of like paying the Mafia for protection?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cook
    Perhaps I'm getting old. (Correction: I am getting old.)

But does it seem odd to anyone besides me that one of the best features of the most expensive Canon EOS is the switch panel which allows me to shut off all that foolish automation I just paid for?

On the cheap models, you are stuck with it.

Kind of like paying the Mafia for protection?
    I'll stick to my fully manual, no bells and whistles, Olympus OM-1. Manual ISO setting, manual focus, manual speed setting, manual aperture and mirror lock up. What more does a camera need?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I'll stick to my fully manual, no bells and whistles, Olympus OM-1. Manual ISO setting, manual focus, manual speed setting, manual aperture and mirror lock up. What more does a camera need?
    Needs to be MINE!!!! All MINE!!!

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've fooled the DX sensor in another way. I have a cheap zoom P&S (well, not that cheap, it was close to $150 new about 5-6 years ago) that has no overrides, and nothing in the booklet says what it assumes if there's no DX code (nor does it display any exposure information). I wanted to shoot some Tri-X, bulk loaded in plastic cassettes.

Simple solution: I used a piece of aluminum foil to cover all four DX sensor pins and the common contact (at the edge of the cassette), to fool the camera into setting EI 1600 -- the film will be processed in Diafine, and all will be well. And meantime, I can lock out the flash and still get hand-holdable exposures with the zoom extended (which makes it about f/14 wide open).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This has all been very interesting as I also use a not-so-cheap P&S on occassion...

Does anyone know of or have a diagram or description of which pins get connected to achieve what speed for the DX pins?

Seems it would be fairly easy to cut aluminum foil, glued to the canister to get any speed we'd want... Might be fun to play with?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rich asked "Does anyone know of or have a diagram or description of which pins get connected to achieve what speed for the DX pins?"

Here's a table:
    http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2131/dx-code.html
    That table suggests that all four contacts made means EI 3200.

Four contacts give resolution of film speed to one stop (usually biased towards overexposure by the camera), six are needed for resolution to a third of a stop.
    Last edited by Helen B; 07-07-2005 at 02:39 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: attempted improvement in clarity

Shooter
    Large Format
    Gees, that was quick! You must have all your pins shorted ;-)

Thanks!! I might have to do some playing now...

Shooter
    35mm
    I've thought of creating a program that would print out the patterns for ISO speeds you specify, the idea being to print them to peel-off stickers, cut out the white areas with an x-acto knife, and sandwich some aluminum foil between the sticker and the film canister. I've not gotten around to trying this, though, probably because most of my cameras don't read DX codes and I'd only need it for Ilford Pan F+. If anybody else wants to experiment with my idea, though, please feel free.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Here's a table:
    http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2131/dx-code.html
    That table suggests that all four contacts made means EI 3200.
    That's probably correct, Helen -- but according to the manual, the camera in which I did this only goes to 1600, so telling it the film is 3200 should result in the same effect as leaving off the one pin that should be open. I'll know for sure when I develop...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin