Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,951   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, the lowest price I've found on ascorbic acid is The Chemistry Store, perhaps because they sell "technical" grade, which is presumably unfit for human consumption but works fine as a developing agent. It's best to order from them if you want other chemical supplies, though, to avoid paying too much on shipping, on a per-pound basis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    FWIW, the lowest price I've found on ascorbic acid is The Chemistry Store, perhaps because they sell "technical" grade, which is presumably unfit for human consumption but works fine as a developing agent. It's best to order from them if you want other chemical supplies, though, to avoid paying too much on shipping, on a per-pound basis.
    IIRC (Edit: and I didn't recall correctly), Trader Joe's price on the food grade sodium ascorbate is roughly the same as The Chemistry Store's tech grade ascorbic acid, so if you have one nearby, it's probably the most economical. You also don't need to do the baking soda conversion that titrisol mentions with sodium ascorbate. The Chemistry Store doesn't list sodium ascorbate, and Trader Joes' doesn't sell online.

Lee

Edit:
    Please note that Trader Joe's carries ascorbic acid, not sodium ascorbate, as mentioned in several following posts. My four month old recall failed me. At least I had the price right. I apologize for any confusion or wasted trips to Trader Joe's.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 07-07-2005 at 02:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    IIRC, Trader Joe's price on the food grade sodium ascorbate is roughly the same as The Chemistry Store's tech grade ascorbic acid, so if you have one nearby, it's probably the most economical. You also don't need to do the baking soda conversion that titrisol mentions with sodium ascorbate. The Chemistry Store doesn't list sodium ascorbate, and Trader Joes' doesn't sell online.

Lee
    Are you sure that Trader Joe's sells Sodium Ascorbate? I've only seen Ascorbic Acid powder at TJ's, for $ 9.99 per pound.

Mike Sullivan
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    I suppose the title says it all. I've been developing APX100 135 in Rodinal and I love the results. It is a bit grainy for a 100 speed film, so I was wondering what you guys and gals use for a developer with APX100 to get super fine grain.

Thanks in advance,
    Ara
    I've gotten some very interesting results using PMK. That said, I'm now in the process of trying out PyroCat because I want to see how the printing characteristics differ on VC paper between the two developers. Specifically, how brown colored stain affects contrast vs yellow green colored stain.

Mike Sullivan
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use APX 100 35mm in Ilford Perceptol 1:3 // ISO 40 // 75F @ 17.5-18 Minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alone.jpg   elsa.jpg   salton.jpg  
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I switch back and forth between Xtol 1:2 and DD-X 1:4 depending on whether I have the time to mix up the Xtol or not. I don't see much difference between the two. But then again I'm not one to haul out a densitometer either. The proof is in the prints and they look fine to me. I was EXTREMELY upset with Agfa disco'd APX100 in 4x5.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras
    Are you sure that Trader Joe's sells Sodium Ascorbate? I've only seen Ascorbic Acid powder at TJ's, for $ 9.99 per pound.

Mike Sullivan
    Ditto for me. I use Trader Joe's Ascorbic Acid powder in various developers - works great. I have never seen Sodium Ascorbate in Trader Joe's (Thousand Oaks & Manhattan Beach, CA).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I find Paterson FX-39 gives finer grain than Rodinal 1:25.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    another vote for Rodinal 1:100

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras

Mike Sullivan
    Sorry folks. My mistake. I was going from 4 or 5 month old memory and didn't have time to make the 25 mile round trip to check the product itself (and you can't check online, which I did try to do before posting). I already had NOW foods sodium ascorbate and another brand of ascorbic acid by the time a local Trader Joe's opened here early this last spring, so only saw the product on the shelf and didn't need to buy any.

I apologize for any confusion I caused, and will edit my original post to correct it.

Lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin