Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,110   Online: 1098

Shooter
    Multi Format

Traveling with photo paper

I am leaving for NYC this sunday for a summer program; instead of buying all my supplies out there I want to bring as much stuff as I already have. I am used to bringing film on airplanes and getting a hand inspection at security, but I've never traveled with unexposed paper. So if I have 100 sheets or so of b&w and color paper, how would you recommend I get it out there? Can I put paper through the x-ray machines without it getting fogged? Can they do hand-inspections without having to open up the packaging? I assume this would be similar to traveling with sheet film, but I've never done that either. Thanks.
    -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would mail it. Just mark it photographic materials don't x-ray. This way you don't have to worry about anything. If you do take it with you on the plane then I suggest carrying it on and running it through the x-ray machine. What is B&W paper, like an iso of 6 for paper negs?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you carry it with you and put it through the X-ray machines it will be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've just returned from travelling to and around the US and took with me two boxes of 8 x 10 fibre paper which I had to put in my checked luggage due to lack of space in carry on. The paper was perfectly OK despite being passed through at least 5 X ray machines. Paper speed is very slow unlike film.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    The paper was perfectly OK despite being passed through at least 5 X ray machines.
    Hi Les,
    when you say it was OK, how did you assess this? An objective method would be to measure the Dmin using a reflection densitometer of some unexposed+developed+fixed paper.
    regards
    Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB
    Hi Les,
    when you say it was OK, how did you assess this? An objective method would be to measure the Dmin using a reflection densitometer of some unexposed+developed+fixed paper.
    regards
    Peter.
    I made prints and compared the white paper base border to prints made on the same paper before I left England. I did not use a densitometer just a very experienced eye.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Agfa B&W RC paper is marked as 160ISO with the yellow filters, and 80ISO with the magenta filter. I don't know if there is an actual equivalence with film or not, but even if it was, it's slow enough to go through x-rays.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin