Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,192   Posts: 1,659,096   Online: 873

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Rodinal Questions

I've primarily been using Delta-400 and D-76 1+1 for the past few years (35mm) enlarging up to 11X14 and wanted to start trying some Rodinal. I developed a test roll of bracketed exposures of the Delta in Rodinal 1+50 for 19 minutes and the results timing wise were right on with the negatives looking real nice under a loupe. I have yet to enlarge a negative. I will soon try some tests with Tri-X and HP-5. My questions are what differences do you get with different dilutions as to grain,contrast,tonality etc.. I see people using 1+25 up to 1+200 and am interested as to why.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there is at least 1 more thread about this.
    Also, have you read unblinkingeye's article on Rodinal?

Rodinal is a strange animal in the sense that increasing dilution doe not increase the grain size, it decreases it.
    More diluted rodinal lowers the overall contrast, thus a longer tonal scale.
    Development times are extended by using diluted developer but IMHO film speed loss is not noticeable.

As I have said before I belive the best trade-off is Rodinal 1+100+VitC as per patrick Gainer invaluable teachings.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ususally use 1:50 to control the contrast better, but I have had good results at 1:25 as well. I have tested a little bit with 1:100 for night shooting and lowering contrast a great deal and it worked very well, but I haven't done much with it.

In general, I have always liked the grain I have gotten with Rodinal regardless of the dilution, so I would agree from my experience with Titrisol's statement. I think I will try the vitamin C next.

Paul.

Oh, one more thing. I would assume that you will get rather noticible grain with TX and HP5 with Rodinal at 35mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm sure this has been written before, but I find rodinal works best with slower films but there are a lot of people who like tri-x in rodinal. I think Bill Brabdt was one of them, please correct me if I am wrong.

I love APX 100 at 100 and dev'd 1+100 for 22 minutes. Some of my best negs have come from this combo.
    I also love Pan F at 50 and dev'd 1+50 for 13 minutes.

I have never used tri-x and rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I soup my HP5 in Rodinal 1+50 for 12' and rate it as 200 ASA. Agitation for the first 3à seconds, then every minute and at 7' every 2'30". Nice results. As I am not that kind of tester, I can't give you comparisons to anything else.

I'm currently experimenting with stand development for sheet film. FP4 in 1+100 for 40' seems to work fine but don't trust my word on it. I roll the tank a few times every 15 minutes.

I bought some 4x5 TriX 320 yesterday and I'm eager to see the results. Does anyone have a recommandation for TriX in Rodinal? Digitaltruth is very sparse on info on the subject. Gerald mght be helped with it as well.

Why do I use Rodinal? It's not expensive and quite a bit elitist

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm... maybe APUG needs a Rodinal forum or sub-forum?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my thought exactly :-)

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    or a FAQ section?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Hmmm... maybe APUG needs a Rodinal forum or sub-forum?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin