Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,087   Online: 906

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Cheap processing in the UK?

Hello all - Long time, no see. Been very busy. I will upload the results tonight so you can see what I have been up to...

Anyway, a friend of mine just moved to the UK and is finding it very pricey to get her film developed. She lives in Bury St. Edmunds and her husband is in the Air Force so money is tight.

I am thinking that maybe there is either a cheap supply of film developer she can tap into or maybe even some good recipes requiring cheap chemicals and some simple mixing.

Any help?
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello,

I'm assuming that your friend wants to develop her own film rather than get it processed elsewhere which will be expensive. Probably about the cheapest is to go for some Agfa Rodinal. Her local Jessops may have some, or they can order it for her. It'll cost about 9 pounds and by buying it locally she'll save on postage. Then she can use the 1+50 dilution for economy. She can use water instead of a stop bath.

Another alternative would be to use ID-11 at a dilution of 1+3. That gives nice tonality, however the Rodinal will be cheaper and the concentrate lasts forever.

Hope that helps

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg
    Her local Jessops may have some, or they can order it for her.
    It is worth looking to see if her local Jessops have a 'bargain bin', the one in Norwich occasionally has one - I've picked up 'out of date' Rodinal for £1 there before.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg
    Hello,
    Probably about the cheapest is to go for some Agfa Rodinal. Her local Jessops may have some, or they can order it for her. It'll cost about 9 pounds and by buying it locally she'll save on postage.
    Retrophotographic do Calbe R09/Foma F09 rodinal for £2.95 for 250ml (or 11.95 a litre if you need that much!). Dilute 40+1.

Not sure I'd use it for 35mm, but it doesn't get much cheaper. The bottle is tiny, so postage is low. Their Ecostop/Ecofix is FAR cheaper than you'll pick up locally (and I'd much rather give my cash to retro than jessops!).

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Have a look at www.7dayshop.com for good film prices. Their sister site does a good quality affordable E6 service.

As for chemicals, the powder stuff like ID11 is dirt cheap. Or if you want a liquid developer rodinal is good (lovely with tri-x) if a little grainy. At about 8 quid for 500ml, at 1+50 dillution it will dev a lot of film! And it keeps for years once opened.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    Hello all - Long time, no see. Been very busy. I will upload the results tonight so you can see what I have been up to...

Anyway, a friend of mine just moved to the UK and is finding it very pricey to get her film developed. She lives in Bury St. Edmunds and her husband is in the Air Force so money is tight.

I am thinking that maybe there is either a cheap supply of film developer she can tap into or maybe even some good recipes requiring cheap chemicals and some simple mixing.

Any help?
    Almost every military base has a hobby shop for military and their familes. Many have darkroom facilities. Have her check there.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin