Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,379   Online: 1068

Thread: Azo in RC?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Azo in RC?

I saw this on E bay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...sPageName=WDVW
    I've never heard of Azo being available in an RC paper, yet it looks like genuine stuff.

Anyone else aware of RC Azo?

Craig

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    I saw this on E bay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...sPageName=WDVW
    I've never heard of Azo being available in an RC paper, yet it looks like genuine stuff.

Anyone else aware of RC Azo?

Craig
    Yes, it was commonly sold here in Mexico.....but then why waste time with this since Kodak wont be making it anymore in any kind? If you like azo, you better hope Smith can have it made somewhere else.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Jay-maybe we should just take all the analog equipment to the dump? Or just a
    large towel so we can have a big cry? Seems funny but POP paper disappeared a long time ago but I can easily pick up the phone and get some today. It's going to be the small and nimble players who will make a living off of analog supplies in the future. You have never met Michael Smith. If it wasn't for him AZO would have disappeared several years ago. Someone smart enough to start up production of an AZO type paper will have a market all to themselves. Speculate...yes I believe Michael will pull it off.
    Best, Peter Schrager

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think a head for enlarging onto a silver chloride paper such as Azo that doesn't cost a lot is not that far away. You may have to build it yourself, but it won't be that hard.

And anyone who is shooting with large format 4x5 and bigger should be contact printing on Azo/whatever replaces it. If every large format photographer bought two boxes a year how many boxes a year would that be? I have no idea, but I bet it is enough to keep a paper going.

I'd even encourage everyone to do their contact sheets on Azo/whatever replaces it. Having good contact sheets is very important. If every analog photographer bought 1 box per year, how many boxes per year would that be?

I think there is a market. But, like anything else, it's a gamble.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    As for Smith orchestrating the production of an
    Azo-like paper by another manufacturer, ...
    The goliathian sized coated paper by the mile
    production facilities pioneered in the 1880s are being
    converted to baryta-gelatined sized and finished
    papers for Ink Jet use.

Anybody ready to sign up for emulsion making and
    coating class? Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A store not far from me has three boxes of this stuff on their shelves, although it is older (no picture on the label, no expiration date on the box). But they keep moving the price up every time a new Kodak catalog comes out...or else I'd have bought some of it already. I use mostly fiber, but occasionally play with RC and could have some fun with this stuff.

Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to buy old paper at new prices, even if it's a paper that I trust is still as good as new. Strange, I know...but I never said I wasn't.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe that something will come out of Michael Smith's efforts to get a replacement for AZO. In some ways the small market for AZO may be an advantage. A mfg would only have to do a very small run of paper every year or so (small in relation to other paper) and then store the rolls for future cutting like Kodak did for the last few runs of AZO.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Images
    With a powerful enough light, maybe some will use the AZO head to do POP, palladium etc. enlarging.
    Gadget Gainer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin