Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,027   Online: 818

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it possible you can give a couple of sheets to someone you trust who is on a different water supply and uses a different process etc to yourself to try?

I'm just guessing that there may be something in your specific processes, mainly the water, that is exacerbating things; the fact that another paper exhibits a similar problem (albeit to a lesser degree) suggests there may be more than one cause. I do seem to recall in one of the Adams books that he mentioned that Ilford recommended that he NOT excessively filter his water supply. Obviously, this would have been some time ago with different materials, but it may be worth considering.

Bob.

Images
    You're right. That's what I get for skimming.

Maybe the numbers stand for something different from the emulsion batch, so they are all really the same, but even so I can't see how Ilford would let them go through. They must really be in dire straits or somebody in the work force is getting even.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob F. Ansel talks about having water that is too soft, that having some calcium choride in the water acts like a buffer against acidity. However my water is not heavily softened, I check with the readings from my water utility and set my softener accordingly. My water does not have that slippery feeling you get from overly soft water.

Gainer, I'll be calling Ilford in the UK tomorrow morning, hopefully I'll get some good answers and will be able to resolve this problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,
    I seen mention of setting a water softener. On normal water softeners you tell the softener the hardness of your water. You get the number by having the water checked. Beware that setting the softener at a number lower than
    the actual hardness can cause permeant damage to it. The hard water flows through resin beads that the minerals cling to. Different capacity ratings of softeners relate to the amount of resin in the softener. More resin means more water can be treated before a regeneration cycle runs. By setting it lower than the true number more minerals will cling to the beads than the softener thinks are there. The softener has a meter in it that measures the number of gallons that went through it. If the minerals build up too much for too long, they will not be removed when a regeneration cycle runs. After awhile the softener will not soften any more, and the resin will have to be replaced. The resin is approx haft the cost of the softener !.

This applys to regular softeners, and perhaps a new type has a variable softening feature I am not aware of. Check you instructions, or contact the company that made it to see.

Jennifer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any update on how you have made out?

Best regards

Todd

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin