Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,460   Online: 1058

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I made this weekend some concentrated stock solution of Metol and Phenidone following the above instructions quiete and easy to do. My question; is it possible to do the same for Borax. The reason I'am asking this is because I made mostly small badges of D-76H (max. 1 liter) and it is more convenience to measure 25 ml of a concentrated 10% Metol stock solution than 2.5 grams of Metol powder. If this can be done with also the Borax it makes life much easier.
    Or is there some brilliant idea to combine these two in one single stock solution?? And wil the Sodium Sulfite dissolve in the water with the syrup of Metol/Borax?
    And how to make with what - glycol or TEA or a combination of...?
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Images
    Borax is very soluble in glycerin (glycerol), if that's any help. About 50%. That's about 10 times its solubility in water. I have't figured out yet what to do with that info.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Borax is very soluble in glycerin (glycerol), if that's any help. About 50%. That's about 10 times its solubility in water. I have't figured out yet what to do with that info.
    A Borax/ glycerin solution makes it much easier to add a small amount of borax to PC-TEA developer. Trying to dissolve dry borax into TEA takes just a few hours short of forever, but glycerin makes a tedious task simple.

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I dissolves cathecol in glycol 10% solutions, after read in somewhere in this forum, that's almost a year now, that solutions still in same color when i mix it, but i compared to my pyrocatMC in glycol more brownish than in plain water after several weeks, is that my Pyrocat MC still useable?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
    A Borax/ glycerin solution makes it much easier to add a small amount of borax to PC-TEA developer. Trying to dissolve dry borax into TEA takes just a few hours short of forever, but glycerin makes a tedious task simple.

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com
    I'm off to the dungeon to see if PC-Borax in glycerin is usable. The P and the C are both soluble in glycerin. Perhaps just enough TEA to neutralize the C?
    Gadget Gainer

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My stock solution of Metol has changed color and is now like (coffee) brown. I was mixing a new badge of developer and saw that the Metol solution was a little thick but nearly transparant with some colorisation at the top of the liquid. I put the bottle in some warm water and after a while the color changed to brown. I made this stock solution in mid December last year. Is this a sign that the solution is gone?
    harry

Images
    Color is not always a reliable indicator. Some clear solutions can be useless, like dead XTOL, and some black solutions can be very active, like old Rodinal. Keep a roll of 35 mm film just for snip tests. Cut an inch or so, develop it in room light no more than 2 minutes in working strength solution. If you do this when the developer is fresh, you will be able to tell if it is getting weaker, and will certainly not be caught with blank negatives. Underdeveloped is one thing, undeveloped is disaster.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    PS
    If you have sulfite on hand, a teaspoon of it in half a cup (about 125 ml) of water plus a ml of the Metol stock (a child sized medicine dropper is handy to have around) will be close enough to D-23 for a snip test to see if the Metol is still active.
    Gadget Gainer

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    PS
    If you have sulfite on hand, a teaspoon of it in half a cup (about 125 ml) of water plus a ml of the Metol stock (a child sized medicine dropper is handy to have around) will be close enough to D-23 for a snip test to see if the Metol is still active.
    Thanks for your reply. I will try this today and see what happend.

I'am just coming out of the DR and tested the metol stock solution as you discribed and it seems to be okÚ. No more worries about the brown coloring.
    Thanks again this method was very simple and helpfull. I will keep it in mind for later use.
    Last edited by hka; 02-24-2008 at 05:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Testing results available
    harry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin