Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,918   Posts: 1,556,419   Online: 1168

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Efke PL 25 film in HC110 ???

I'm about to shoot my first sheets of Efke 25 film and would like to develop it in HC110 which is what I use for most applications. I'll be making van dyke brownprints from the negatives so I usually push films a couple stops to get the requisite densities. This generally works out for me as developing the film in Kodak HC110 dilution A (1+15) for the times recommended for dilution B (1+31) or thereabouts.

I've checked the J&C website and the film box for development data but HC110 isn't listed. Can anyone give me some idea where to start with this film in HC110? Are one of the listed Efke (?) developers (FR-14, FR-16) similar to HC110?

It looks like the film generally has an ISO rating of 25 under tungsten and slightly higher speeds under daylight with certain developers. Does that match your experience with the film?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Joe

boc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I primarily use HC-110 as well and will be trying out all the Efke films over the next month or so. Someone asked about 25 last month and had a few responses. You can find that thread here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/16687-efke-r25-hc-110-a.html

There's also quite a bit of Efke info spread around the photo.net forums if you're patient enough to sift through everything there. =)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, don't use HC110, but I wouldn't use 25 for the speed under tungsten light. There is too much red in that frequency and their 25 doesn't see red as panchromatic films do. Slow it down a stop or two if you can.

For azo I generally use asa 6, but have never done any printing with Van Dyke, so I'm not sure about density or development. I can say it is a great film, but also a P.I.T.A. to use at times in contrasty light and takes a bit of knowing to work the bugs out. Be gentle! tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    ... but I wouldn't use 25 for the speed under tungsten light. There is too much red in that frequency and their 25 doesn't see red as panchromatic films do. Slow it down a stop or two if you can...
    Yes. I've seen the spectral chart on the J&C website. From the data sheet it appears to be a higher speed film under daylight conditions by about one stop, but those EIs are around 40-50 so I assumed the 25 tungsten rating would be close. Thanks for the tip.

I did a quick test in very strong and warm HC100 (1+10 @75F for 6 minutes) to see if I might get an upper limit. From a quick extrapolation it appears the film could have been rated at EI 100 with this combo. It produced an estimated CI of 1.62(!) with a pronounced shoulder. Quite a surprise. I've never seen a non-lith film except maybe Tech Pan exhibit such a steep gradient. Obviously I need to back off and run a proper test perhaps using dilution A @ 68F/20C and perhaps a better shutter. The test exposures were really dense and blown out and I'm thinking the old Betax shutter I used might have contributed to the overblown densities. Could be pilot error too I suppose.

This might be a great film for expansion/contraction and the slow speed should be helpful with the old equipment I'm using.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Contrast

Here's a shot of a friend taken with Efke 25 in dead flat light, full shade in early morning. It was done with an old Mamiya C330f and 135mm lens. Development was in PMK for 7:00 at 70f. Friend who I go out shooting with and a fine friend. tim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin