Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,709   Online: 963

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm
    Freestyle Camera just informed me they have in stock a Seal dry mount press that costs about $600 that they assured me will flatten fiber-base papers after complete drying, so I will drive to their store and buy it. Thanks, all, for your wonderful contributions!

Terry
    That'll solve the problem conveniently and permanently. And you'll also be able to dry-mount prints as well .
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    How you dry the prints can make it easier or more difficult to flatten the prints when they are dry. Calumet offers a set of screens that helps keep the prints flatter as they dry: “This classic method of print drying is space-effective, environmentally correct and inexpensive. Sturdy anodized bronze frames are stretched with plastic-coated fiberglass screen. If you stack the frames, the prints will only be 1/2" apart so they will dry more slowly and will have less tendency to curl. For faster drying, see our Rack for Zone VI Screens. Screens take up minimal space and can be conveniently stacked out of the way when not in use. They are easy to wash for years of contamination-free print drying. Set of four 24 x 30" screens.” $43.99
    http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE...&type=PRDINDEX

Of course you can buy the rack for the screens to get more airflow $69.99, or you can buy the Forced Air Dryer for Zone VI Print Drying Screens $599.99 with heater. If you use the heat and rest the prints on the screen without putting a screen over the prints as well, you will have perfectly dry potato chip looking prints in minutes. You gotta love it.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have found the best way to get flat FB prints is to...

1. re-soak your prints

2. Dry the prints only to the piont that the emulsion is no longer wet, we us a hair dryer. You don't want the emulsion to be sticky, but you still want a slight moisture to the print...

3. put the prints in a stack and under some weight, we use light impressions interleaving tissue between the prints.

4. Leave for 1-2 weeks, or at least 1-2 days.

The longer you leave the prints the more permanently flat they will be.

However for flat bed scanning you really need to dry mount the prints.

I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with the idea that RC is better. The fiber prints are sharper and have greater detail than RC. We have done many test comparisons!!!

Good Luck!

Corey

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Some time ago, someone here mentioned using a piece of cut granite, heated up in the oven as an alternative to a dry-mounting press. Perhaps a heated Pizza stone or thick marble cutting board could be employed to flatten prints. Just a thought.
    I've tried this for dry mounting and it works great. I can do about 3 or four mounts per hour. Here's the link-- http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...nite+dry+mount

For just flattening however I use the iron method.
    Best regards,
    James

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Imade my own screen from batton wood and some mosquito netting - cost me about £5 to make 5 screens each big enough for 4 91/2 x 12 prints. I dry all my prints face down after very carefull squeegying to gat as much water off as possible from both sides. Leave over night then place in a book under heavy weights and hey presto - very flat FB prints

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm
    Freestyle Camera just informed me they have in stock a Seal dry mount press that costs about $600 that they assured me will flatten fiber-base papers after complete drying, so I will drive to their store and buy it. Thanks, all, for your wonderful contributions!

Terry
    Anyone in Europe know where to find the same thing (without paying the $3000 list for a Seal 210 - Yes, you read that correctly: THREE GRAND).
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    35mm
    Look at thi site (from Spain - Spanish): http://www.foto-r3.com/

They have the MACO Ecomat TP5060
    for about 1000 Euros.

Bye.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis M.
    Look at thi site (from Spain - Spanish): http://www.foto-r3.com/

They have the MACO Ecomat TP5060
    for about 1000 Euros.

Bye.
    Thx for that Luis. I'll try to find out more about those presses; 50x60 is a bit overkill for me. My spanish is pretty (totally) non-existent... if it comes to a deal I'll call you to interpret? :-)
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm...Last night I put all six 5 x 7 inch fiber prints in a book and placed the book under a 30-40 pound brass Stiffel lamp on my dining room table. I just pulled the book out from under the lamp and examined the prints and --wow!--it produced nice flattening!

Images
    I discovered that a heavy sheeet of metel heated to 225, in the oven, and put on top of a sandwich-Foamcore/print/cardstock-works great at flattening. After about two minutes under the metal I put a sheet of copper on it to cool it. Worked like a charm. The whole put it under a stack of books does not work for me. 60 science text books for a month and my prints still curled as soon as I took the books off. Now if I could just figure out how to use this method for mounting.

I used copper because that is what I had handy. I bet aluminum would work great too or a metal skillet.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin