Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,818   Online: 781

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    tbm
    Shooter
    35mm

Flattening processed, dried fiber-base paper

Does anybody have a great method of completely flattening already dried fiber-base paper? I made 6 prints from 2 negatives this morning, hung the prints on plastic clothes pins, and need to flatten them so they can be successfully scanned by a publisher who is going to scan them and publish them with my article. Thanks!

Terry

Images
    I hang my prints to dry and then flatten them in a dry-mounting press. Works great but presses can be way expensive. All I can say is that a combination of heat and pressure works, go at the problem from that direction.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Rc prints would have been better for this application as they dry flat.

Flattenig already dry prints is best done with a heat mounting press set to low and cool under weight.

About 5 interchanges between photoblotters if you rewet them. So you need 10 blotters. Do not use weights.

A blotter roll also works, but they are hard if not impossible to find.

All things considered, I would reprint on RC paper.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    try putting one between 2 clean pieces of archival mat board and using a dry iron (NO STEAM) on the mat board/print/mat board sandwich. Flip the sandwich and iron again, then put a big book on it to hold it flat. By the time it's cool, it'll be flat.

Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't have access to a dry mount press, so what I do is place the print between two clean pieces of mountboard and use an iron set to medium heat. I press quite hard and iron the mountboard. This flattens the print reasonably well but while the print is still warm I place it between clean sheets of paper or blotting paper and leave it under a pile of heavy books for a couple of days. This works well for me and the prints come out flat.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RC is cheap, fast and easy, but nothing looks as good as a print on FB paper!

There used to be/still is made a print flattening solution. It was basically glycerin and water. I think Ethol made it. You can follow a recipe for it in Anchell's "Darkroom Cookbook". It worked ok, but further steps had to be taken after the soaking in the flattening solution.

The above posts contain some good info.

Images
    Some time ago, someone here mentioned using a piece of cut granite, heated up in the oven as an alternative to a dry-mounting press. Perhaps a heated Pizza stone or thick marble cutting board could be employed to flatten prints. Just a thought.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Freestyle Camera just informed me they have in stock a Seal dry mount press that costs about $600 that they assured me will flatten fiber-base papers after complete drying, so I will drive to their store and buy it. Thanks, all, for your wonderful contributions!

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can't argue with FB prints being nicer for display purposes especially if you don't have them under glass. I have read a couple of accounts, but have no firsthand experience, indicating that for scanning purposes, RC papers might be a better choice. They lie flat from the get go without resorting to unusual measures and the uniformly slick surface works better with most scanners. So, if you can get the tonal range you want in your prints with RC paper, you might want to give it a go. Check with your publisher to see what he says.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec
    A blotter roll also works,
    but they are hard if not impossible to find.
    Alas blotter rolls are history. Blotter books are worthless.
    So what does that leave us? Blotter Stacks!

Blotter stacks Dry and Flatten at the same time. Two
    items make up a proper blotter stack; corrugated board and
    blotter sheets.

I use A flute Ventilation corrugated board in conjunction
    with hydrophobic blotter sheets. An interleaving is done
    with the prints. The stack is weighted at top. Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin