Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,747   Posts: 1,483,769   Online: 777

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak D-11 Developer

I picked up a couple bags today while I was browsing around, for the price... I couldn't help myself.

I'm trying to get into developing my own b&w negatives, but this is something I haven't done for years and when I did I didn't have to worry about chemicals, they were provided..

I tried to search the web for information and developing times but came up with nothing. Does anything know of any information or websites relating to this developer?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    D 11 is a high contrast developer, used for lith and developing plates for the electronics industry. I would not use for any other type of film or work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Some you might want to consider instead include Kodak's D-76, HC-110, or XTOL; Ilford's ID-11 (which is functionally identical to D-76); or Agfa's Rodinal. These are just some of the more popular general-purpose developers (although Rodinal is most often recommended for slow films because it produces larger grain than some of the others). There are lots more, and I mean no offense to anybody whose favorite I've omitted; these are just the ones that came immediately to mind as being popular. Their popularity means that you're likely to find developing times for them for whatever film you're using, if not in the film box or the developer's package, then at the Massive Dev Chart.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the quick replies, and the recommendations. ^_^

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rather than toss the D 11 you can experiment to see if will work with paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your D-11 **MIGHT** work for film and paper if you dilute it enough. I've never tried it, so call it an experiment and be an Evil Scientist for a couple of hours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once in a very tight spot I developed Tx in Dektol, I dont recall the dilution but it worked much better than I would have thought at the time, good tones and very sharp, the grain was not a problem for the small prints needed for 1/2 tones for the wire.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    Rather than toss the D 11 you can experiment to see if will work with paper.
    So I can use it with paper too? Well I'll definatly keep it around and experiement.

Thanks everyone for replying!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Morgan and Morgan Compact Photo-Lab-Index (1977 edition) lists Kodak Developer D-11 as "An Elon-Hydroquinone Process Developer for Process and Panchromatic Process Films & Plates." Developing directions are: Develop about 5 minutes in a tank or 4 minutes in a tray at 68 deg. F. When less contrast is desired, the developer should be diluted with an equal volume of water.

Kodak D-11 stock solution is a less energetic developer than Kodak D-72 stock solution(the precursor of Dektol).

However, if you compare the D-11 stock solution with D-72 stock diluted 2:1 (as you do for developing enlarging papers) the two should be fairly close to each other in performance.

D-11 stock (developing agents, sulfite & alkali)
    Elon (Metol)---------------------------1 gram/liter
    Hydroquinone--------------------------9 grams/liter
    Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous)-------------75 grams/liter
    Sodium Carbonate (monohydrated)-----30 grams/liter

D-72 stock (developing agents, sulfite & alkali)
    Elon (Metol)----------------------------3 grams/liter
    Hydroquinone--------------------------12 grams/liter
    Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous)-------------45 grams/liter
    Sodium Carbonate (monohydrated)------80 grams/liter
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopy
    So I can use it with paper too? Well I'll definatly keep it around and experiement.
    From what I understand, most B&W developers can be used with both film and paper, but few are really ideal for both -- they may produce too much grain with film, or too much fog with paper, or whatever. Since you're new to it (or coming back after a long gap), it's probably best to start out with more conventional developers, then pull out the unconventional ones once you've got some practice and know what the conventional items do. If you've not yet mixed it, chances are your D-11 will last for years without going bad, so there's no rush to use it right away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin