Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,014   Online: 1196

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Paper and chemistry together in fridge?

I'm thinking of buying a fridge for my darkroom. My question is wether it's safe to store chemicals and paper in the same fridge or do i need to buy two fridges?

Thanks Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why would you want to keep chemicals in the fridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Why would you want to keep chemicals in the fridge?
    some chemical manufacturers reccomend keeping chemicals in a frig
    two examples, dixactol and prescysol.

I keep chemicals and paper together with no problems

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 30+ years of photography and running a laboratory the only chemical I've used that needed refrigeration was Lanthium Nitrate which is not used in photography.

As Photographers the only thing (along with film & paper) that would need refrigeration is silver gelatin based (liquid) emulsion.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not expect there to be a problem storing these together. I would expect my biggest concern, even with a separate refrigerator would be someone...a child.. trying to take a chemical internally. I believe that freezing is even better than refrigerating. I would expect that freezing could greatly lengthen the life of a color developer although there may be problems getting everything back into solution once again after thawing. I believe the main reason for making a larger batch of chemistry is that most of the over the counter goods show a goodly sized cost reduction as the volume increases.

For most black and white developers keeping the ingredients in stock solutions so that the alkalai is seperate from the developing agent will be very helpful whether refrigerated or not.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you've probably deduced by now, there is no real good reason to refrigerate most common darkroom chemistry. Film and paper age more slowly when kept cool, so refrigerating that stuff is a wise move. The real enemy of darkroom chemistry, developers in particular, is oxygen. You'll do more good by keeping your mixed up developers in completely full bottles bottles than you will by refrigerating them.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are some developing agents which seem to deteriorate regardless of storage conditions - among them is Glycin. It might help to refrigerate dry Glycin if it is to be stored for a long time.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    As Photographers the only thing (along with film & paper) that would need refrigeration is silver gelatin based (liquid) emulsion.

Ian
    :o What!? What about the beer/wine/vodka used to help you through the printing session? ALWAYS leave space for those... Film is cheap, but Stoli Crystal sure ain't!
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for all the advice, just one fridge with a beercompartment....

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Jan,

So far, I have only found it advantageous to store RA-4 chemicals in the fridge. I should print more to eliminate that situation.<g>

Neal Wydra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin