Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,213   Online: 874

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rodinal

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We didn't lie when we, the Church, said it was immortal!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They say it burns but is not consumed.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happy Birthday ! Because my own experience over the past 35 years fits pretty well with the 'Rodinal Legend', let me caution you to try it out first... that aside, don't store it in the fridge and don't boil it.

When I try Rodinal 1+100 with a new film for semi-still development, I double the suggested time and agitate for 10 seconds at the midpoint, and go from there. Most of my film is done in tanks, and the single agitation interval doesn't sacrifice much of the effect while reducing the possibilty density irregularity. Will you try thr 4x5 film in a tray ? You should have no problems either way, tank or tray.

Two things to keep in mind about Rodinal, new or old, is that it is powerful, but slow. And extending the development time doesn't alter the curve shape... only the proportion of agitation to the time of development does that. So it is an easy matter to adjust the density of a negative my simply adjusting the development time.

Rodinal is always a matter of testing and believing your eyes. If you need more density, increase the time. If the highlights are too dense, reduce the agitation. If the contrast is right, and the density is wrong, fix the exposure.

Have fun.

Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don and all, many thanks for the b-day wishes and excellent advice.

"If you need more density, increase the time. If the highlights are too dense, reduce the agitation. If the contrast is right, and the density is wrong, fix the exposure." This is very good news, I'm going to have to adjust thinking a bit around this curious behavior (mine & the developer) but it seems I may have stumbled upon the "Holy Grail" of developers. Will thank my son again. tim

P.S. And the burning bush too? Egads!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I just finished printing my first roll of Rodinal. The film was Delta-400 developed 1+50 for 19 minutes with 3 inversions every minute. The tonality was really nice. Impressive. The particular shot I enlarged was about one stop underexposed but still had detail in the shadows. However the grain was too prominent, too coarse. Is there any way to soften the grain somewhat. Not totally like a solvent developer just a little.Because I like the sharpness.My enlargent was an 8X10 I'd be aftaid what the grain would look like at 11X14.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there any way to soften the grain somewhat. Not totally like a solvent developer just a little.Because I like the sharpness.My enlargent was an 8X10 I'd be aftaid what the grain would look like at 11X14.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, there is. There is a good article, "Appreciating Rodinal" at unblinkingeye.com about the wonders of Rodinal and there are several threads here about adding sodium sulfite, ascorbic acid, and borax to Rodinal to soften the grain. Patrick Gainer has quite a bit of knowledge about this and if I'm not mistaken, wrote the "Fog Be Gone" article at unblinkingeye.

I say "apparently" because while I have done these and processed the film, I have yet to make prints from the negs. The negs do show promise, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    We didn't lie when we, the Church, said it was immortal!
    There can be only one
    Søren

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    There can be only one
    Søren
    Or two- in case you drop the first bottle
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    Is there any way to soften the grain somewhat. Not totally like a solvent developer just a little.Because I like the sharpness.My enlargent was an 8X10 I'd be aftaid what the grain would look like at 11X14.

Apparently, there is. There is a good article, "Appreciating Rodinal" at unblinkingeye.com about the wonders of Rodinal and there are several threads here about adding sodium sulfite, ascorbic acid, and borax to Rodinal to soften the grain. Patrick Gainer has quite a bit of knowledge about this and if I'm not mistaken, wrote the "Fog Be Gone" article at unblinkingeye.

I say "apparently" because while I have done these and processed the film, I have yet to make prints from the negs. The negs do show promise, however.[/QUOTE]

I don't think ascorbate softens the grain, but it makes it somewhat smaller. If you try it, remember that what you add must be either the potassium or sodium ascorbate, not ascorbic acid. The acid reduces the pH too much. If you have only ascorbic or erythorbic acid (either works as well) mix 4 grams of it with 2 grams of common baking soda in a small amount of water and let the effervescence subside before adding it to water to make a liter. Then add 20 ml of Rodinal concentrate. The developing times will be about the same as Rodinal 1+25.

My comment when I first tried it was that it makes Rodinal work like the idealized Rodinal. The grain is sharp but not large.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    I just finished printing my first roll of Rodinal. The film was Delta-400 developed 1+50 for 19 minutes with 3 inversions every minute. The tonality was really nice. Impressive. The particular shot I enlarged was about one stop underexposed but still had detail in the shadows. However the grain was too prominent, too coarse. Is there any way to soften the grain somewhat. Not totally like a solvent developer just a little.Because I like the sharpness.My enlargent was an 8X10 I'd be aftaid what the grain would look like at 11X14.
    You can try a higher dilution, say 1+100. I used this for APX400 and the grain (in 6x6) was kept well in check. You may like to try it with semi-stand or reduced agitation. I get good results from 15s agitation for first 3 minutes, then one inversion every three minutes till done. Works well for Neopan 400 and TriX.

Paul

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin