Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,444   Online: 786

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rodinal

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by garryl
    Ok. some clarification please, from the church elders. On another forum there is advice(supposed from AGFA) that you need 10ml of Rodinal (minimum) for each 35mm roll for proper development. That means that you mix 10ml in 1000ml of water (for a 1:100 dil.) -pour half in a 16 oz tank - and throw the other half away. Or you buy a 4 reel tank- pour all the developer in- develope only one roll of 35mm film.
    Now this seemed nuts and a bit wasteful. But I might be wrong- am I? I've always mixed 5:500ml for a two roll tank for one roll processing.
    I have done 1+100 with 6ml, I have 600ml tank, and it worked well. I have read somewhere that 2,5ml is enough for a one 35mm roll... Think it was from here, under discussion of very diluted use of Rodinal, 1+severalhunders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey
    from the other side of the ocean ,Belgium,Rodinal even if it is black as coal it stays good on efke 25 1+12 6 min at 20 °C a good neg easy to print

Greetings
    BBMOR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What a great son, hope you had a great birthday Tim!
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BBMOR, is that 1:12 for 6 minutes at 20c? That seems a bit thick for Efke 25. Have you tried this combination on Efke 25? I would think it might be a bit too well done with this film's reaction to "hot" developers like a 1:12 dilution. tim

P.S. Gay, thanks for the kind birthday wish.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    On the other thread, someone Emailled Agfa the dilution question. He kindly fowarded a copy of the answer he received- which I'm posting below FYI.

Thank you for contacting AgfaPhoto USA.

You need 10 ml of Rodinal concentrate per roll of 135-36 B&W film
    regardless of whether you use 1+25 or 1+50 dilution. In other words, you
    would use 10 ml of Rodinal + 250 water to process one roll in a dilution of
    1+25 or 10 ml Rodinal + 500ml water at a dilution of 1+50. There would not
    be enough developing agent in 150ml of 1+50 Rodinal to fully develop one
    roll of 135-36.

Sincerely,
    John Auer
    AgfaPhoto USA Corporation
    Agfa@ezaccess.net
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by garryl
    On the other thread, someone Emailled Agfa the dilution question. He kindly fowarded a copy of the answer he received- which I'm posting below FYI.

Thank you for contacting AgfaPhoto USA.

You need 10 ml of Rodinal concentrate per roll of 135-36 B&W film
    regardless of whether you use 1+25 or 1+50 dilution. In other words, you
    would use 10 ml of Rodinal + 250 water to process one roll in a dilution of
    1+25 or 10 ml Rodinal + 500ml water at a dilution of 1+50. There would not
    be enough developing agent in 150ml of 1+50 Rodinal to fully develop one
    roll of 135-36.

Sincerely,
    John Auer
    AgfaPhoto USA Corporation
    Agfa@ezaccess.net
    Interesting, and I've heard this a number of times. I wonder if this is to ensure enough capacity to develop a 35mm roll of any film type, completely exposed to daylight, to completion.

I've been using as little as 3 ml per 35mm roll for nearly 3 decades with no problems, and got that from people who've been doing it much longer than I. In fact, I've found it pretty easy to overdevelop APX25, Panatomic-X, Pan F(+), and Efke 25 with only 3ml per roll. Perhaps it varies with the film.

I haven't shot much higher speed film and processed in Rodinal. I've done a few 120 rollfilms of APX100 in Rodinal with 6ml per roll and semi stand development with good success as well, and managed to overdevelop one or two getting it down.

I seem to recall Gainer mentioning a particular film that wouldn't go to a gamma of greater than about 0.6 with Rodinal, but would have to search for it in all the Rodinal posts. I have multiple rolls awaiting development (in Rodinal 1:100), so I don't have time to search. Gotta get into the darkroom (and hopefully miss this weekend's storm of digital vs. analog postings).

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 07-23-2005 at 10:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Two things to remember. First, AGFA people consider in their recommendations that a contrast index of 0.65 must be obtainable. Second, HP5+ is one film that will not reach that index with 1+50 Rodinal.

The dilution and the total amount of the concentrate both enter into the maximum CI that can be obtained. Those of us who have achieved what we call satisfactory results outside the bounds set by AGFA have probably welcomed the fact that extended development doesn't affect the highlights as much as the shadows.

The actual amount of developing agent is not usually the limiting factor. Rodinal is sensitive to bromide content, which increases as density increases. The activity of the developer depends upon the ratio of bromide to developing agent. You can see where this is heading.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm really intrigued with all this talk about the wonders of Rodinal. I think my dad has some in his basement that's *really* old. Are there any books out there with detailed instructions on how to use it? I'm experimenting with my TLR and would like to try Efke too. Hope this is related to this thread..........if not, I apologize. (I'm new at this).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oooops! I forgot to sign my name!

Thanks for all your help in advance............Dorothy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin