Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,051   Online: 905

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rodinal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodinal

Question for the temple guards about keeping properties. My birthday is today and my son presented me with a box of goodies from a neighbor who has moved away. There are two 4 ounce containers (un-opened) of the magic elixer in the package, along with some other goodies. No dates I can see about "use by..."

Since they are unopened, how long do they last?

If they are still good, would the fridge be the best place to store them (my darkroom is suffering in this 35th day of 100 plus temps, still no rain yet). Daytime temps are now running 85-88f degrees inside.

How long, once opened, will they keep?

Starting point for Efke 25 in 35mm and 1:100 stand dilution?

Starting point for Efke 100 in 4x5 1:100 for stand development?
    Thanks in advance. tim (A 1951 model year)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a big Rodinal user so what I have around tends to stay around for a good long while. The current batch has gone from a pale amber color to darned near tar black and still works. My guess is that in an unopened bottle, age matters even less and that it is probably still good. There have been accounts of 20+ year old bottles being opened for the first time and used with good results posted both here and other places around the net. Can't help you with developemt time for the Efke films though. I don't use the stuff.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Happy Birthday Tim!

AFAIK, Rodinal keeps for a long, long time, even after the bottle is opened. My only data point is the bottle I bought three years ago and its still good.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Question for the temple guards about keeping properties. My birthday is today and my son presented me with a box of goodies from a neighbor who has moved away. There are two 4 ounce containers (un-opened) of the magic elixer in the package, along with some other goodies. No dates I can see about "use by..."
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TIM!!!

Since they are unopened, how long do they last?
    It seems to last forever, though sure some perfer fresh, others perfer aged..kind of like wine.

If they are still good, would the fridge be the best place to store them (my darkroom is suffering in this 35th day of 100 plus temps, still no rain yet). Daytime temps are now running 85-88f degrees inside.

How long, once opened, will they keep?
    Don't know, but would be inclined to leave it in a cool, dark place at room temp, because large changes in temp might be more problematic than a constant 85 degrees...sorry to hear the inferno has not let up.

Starting point for Efke 25 in 35mm and 1:100 stand dilution?
    Can't help with that one, might check the charts over at JandC

Starting point for Efke 100 in 4x5 1:100 for stand development?
    Thanks in advance. tim (A 1951 model year)
    Have done this, using 1+100 stand would not develope for less than 40 min and usually let it go for an hour (give or take 5 or 10min). That is at 50, so give that some thought. While I do not think the developer is exhausted, it is pretty close, usually use 10 ml of Rodinal in 1 Liter...more recently using 1+50 in a drum and Unicolor roller base, times are 15 min (at 80 degrees).

Good Luck,
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm now using a bottle of decades old Rodinal (the glass bottle with the rubeer stopper) and it works just fine.

For dev times, consult the Massive Dev. Chart at digitaltruth.com, unblinking eye.com and, as said, j and c.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about the time is has been kept. I have done a film Rodinal that was almost 40 years old (and opened before 1970). It was still ok (needed about 10% more development though).
    So if you keep it under 10 years I would not worry nor extend development time.

I would not store it in the fridge as I have heard that some devs will crystalize and it will be tough to solve the crystals in the fluid again. I store mine in the dark in a well-ventilated room. No problems with Rodinal or HC-110.

And...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Morten
    Last edited by modafoto; 07-17-2005 at 12:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Happy Birthday...

Missed the "stand" part the first reading. So Googled the question. This is the only chart I found. Be sure to check the footnote for Rodinal.

http://home.pacbell.net/mkirwan/Film...ng%20Chart.htm
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    I'm now using a bottle of decades old Rodinal (the glass bottle with the rubeer stopper) and it works just fine.

For dev times, consult the Massive Dev. Chart at digitaltruth.com, unblinking eye.com and, as said, j and c.
    Oh, I loved those bottles and stoppers! I wish Rodinal were still shipped that way.

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It will NEVER die... unless you use it, its going to outlive you
    Stuff is awesome!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin