Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,837   Online: 825

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodalith 2556 and C41 neg

I have a couple of boxes of Kodalith 2556, type 3 that I got in a job lot free when I purchased my enlarger.

I would like to give this a try and eventually make a negative that I can use for contacting (8x10) silver prints. I have an image in mind which is from a colour neg (c41) but I reckon I am going to run into sensitivity issues due to the colour base of the colour film. Am I correct or can I compensate by extending exposure time?

Another question is that the film is 15 years out of date and I have no idea how it has been stored. Should it be useable? I will try it anyway but wonder if anyone has used this stuff so far out of date?

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    35mm
    I very much doubt that you will make a good negative on a Ortho film from a color original. If you can get some 8x10 Tech Pan or any other 8x10 film you should be way further ahead and save yourself much aggrivation.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Claire for the quick response.

Trouble is if I buy 8x10 film I will want a camera to go with it

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    Thanks Claire for the quick response.

Trouble is if I buy 8x10 film I will want a camera to go with it

Phill
    And what's wron with wanting an 8X10 camera?

hehehehe

FWIW - I have some VPS-III that expired in November 1988 (frozen since new). It works just fine, but YMMV.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    And what's wron with wanting an 8X10 camera?

hehehehe

FWIW - I have some VPS-III that expired in November 1988 (frozen since new). It works just fine, but YMMV.
    Bob

Hey I WANT one but have you ever seen my wife when she's mad?
    I'll stick to the 5x4 and my keep my testicles thanks

Phill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodalith, unless subjected to high temperature and humidity, will last a very long time. I have made negatives from 35mm color slides on it but one must remember that Kodalith is an extreme contrast film, not intended for pictorial use. Little or no gray tones. It is possible to get a continuous tone negative out of it using highly dilute D-76 (1:9) or Technidol. Chances are it will still be rather high contrast, though. Kodalith is fun stuff to experiment with. Expose it at ISO 6 or, under the enlarger, at paper speed. Try it. Play with it and have some fun.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    I have a couple of boxes of Kodalith 2556, type 3 that I got in a job lot free when I purchased my enlarger.

I would like to give this a try and eventually make a negative that I can use for contacting (8x10) silver prints. I have an image in mind which is from a colour neg (c41) but I reckon I am going to run into sensitivity issues due to the colour base of the colour film. Am I correct or can I compensate by extending exposure time?

Another question is that the film is 15 years out of date and I have no idea how it has been stored. Should it be useable? I will try it anyway but wonder if anyone has used this stuff so far out of date?

Phill
    I doubt that you can come up with a useable negative from an ortho film. I would think that it would require some fairly extensive filtering plus a developer that would be capable of providing a continuous tone negative from a high contrast material.

What came to mind, for me, is that if you could come up with a copy of Kodak's Creative Darkroom Techniques, in it there are a variety of very creative uses of Kodalith. Some involve color separations to arrive at posterizations among other types of prints. Very original...very unique.

The first thing that I would determine is how high the FB+fog is on this fifteen year old film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin