Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,041   Online: 1181

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Moersch Carbon toner

I saw Ole's reference to this toner and was intrigued. Has anyone used this? The info on the Moersch website was both confusing and vague. How does it work with Ilford fb?
    Charlie Murray

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The problem with these products is at this time they are not available in the US. Perhaps Canada. I have been interested in playing with them for some time, but until they can be obtained easily i will have to wait.

At one time Eight Elm in Canada carried some products, but when i sent them an email with regard to purchase, they did not respond.

Am sure some of our European pals will shed some light on your question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aren't they available from J&C ?

If not ask them as they distribute Fotoimpex products in the US and they carry the range at Fotoimpex in Berlin, Germany as does Retro Rhotographic here in the UK

Ian

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    they , j&c indicated that they would be carrying them but so far, they are not listed .

Shooter
    Medium Format

okay, how about Agfa viradon?

I guess the carbon toner is hard to get. Ole mentioned Agfa Viradon . How does it work? Does anything but Sepia work with Ilford mgfb?
    charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Charlie

All sorts of toners will work with Ilford MG FB. really it depends on what shift in colour / warmth you are wanting. If you let us know we may come up with something for you

Ian

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just to reinforce Ian, all toners will tone, either for archival properties or color shift.

Check out Ilford's website for a basic article on toning, which of course uses their papers as and example.

There are several books on the market with Tim Rudmans' TOning book being the most comprehensive.
    Also, Tony Worobiec and Rayk SPence "Beyond Monochrome", Richard Newmans' "Toning Techniques for Photographic Prints" and Tony WOrobiec " TOning and Handcoloring Photograhps"./

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ilford MG IV is famous for being very resistant to tone change, but the WT version is very responsive!

The carbon toner is what I'll buy when I've exhausted my old Viradon - not to be confused with New Viradon: The old formula was a selenium/polysulfide toner, the "New" is a polysulfide toner. The results are similar yet very different. Like Moersch Carbon toner the tone depends on dilution.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would second the recommendation of Tim Rudman's book for toning- an outstanding resource on all sorts of toners and techniques with examples to illustrate different results. You should be able to achieve similar control of toning color as described for Moersch's Carbon Toner with a thiocarbamide toner. Thiocarbamide is a sepia toner without the noxious odors associated with Viradon and other sulfide/polysulfide toners. One benefit of this toner is the great number of permutations available to achieve the print color you desire. It is also relatively simple and cheap to mix up the toner solutions yourself from basic raw chemicals (thiourea, sodium hydroxide, potassium ferricyanide, potassium bromide) available from sources such as Artcraft Chemicals. Both Ilford MGFB and MGWT FB respond well to thiocarbamide toner- the former with much cooler browns and the latter much warmer, in general. Please feel free to ask any questions.
    All the best,
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can anyone provide a formual for carbon toner? (sorry for the hijack!!!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin