Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,186   Online: 1129

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sow's Ear

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ach! Thanks for the correction (never post too late in the day). I had the emulsion and the base confused. I'll have to go read that chapter.

The question, however, does remain; isn't there something other than gelatin that could be made consistently? I suppose with the current fear of cholesterol, having EK corner the world market on Egg White isn't going to be a real option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fparnold
    Ach! Thanks for the correction (never post too late in the day). I had the emulsion and the base confused. I'll have to go read that chapter.

The question, however, does remain; isn't there something other than gelatin that could be made consistently? I suppose with the current fear of cholesterol, having EK corner the world market on Egg White isn't going to be a real option.
    Is it not a moot point? Kodak is going out of business, and so demand in the USA for the particular gelatin will plummet, the suppliers will probably go under as another obsolete industry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    Is it not a moot point? Kodak is going out of business,
    and so demand in the USA for the particular gelatin will
    plummet, the suppliers will probably go under as
    another obsolete industry.
    I'm sure the market for gelatin will increase. It is a sizing
    ingredient. Firms are competing for the sized ink jet paper
    market. Perhaps Kodak's gelatin facility will thrive. Dan

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    And don't forget that the vast bulk of gelatin production is still for food -- it's not just used in gelatin desserts, there's gelatin in lots of candies and other food products.

Gelatin was readily available (as hide glue) when gelatin emulsions were invented. It'll be available (as fingernail strenghtening supplements and desserts, if nothing else) when we have to make our own glass plates.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've made my own aspic from scratch and I sometimes make my own beef and chicken stock, so gelatin isn't that hard to come by. I figure anything they could make in the nineteenth century shouldn't be impossible to make in my kitchen.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin