Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,903   Posts: 1,584,560   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you developed the wrong dark slides ?

At least you have a better idea what your B+F density looks like!

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've never used this developer before, but I had this happen one time. It took me 2 or 3 developed sheets with nothing on them before I was convinced it wasn't operator error (at least in terms of the exposure!).

Turns out, my developer was shot... sat too long on the shelf in a container that wasn't completely sealed. Oops.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by bpm32; 07-19-2005 at 03:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Jeez! I don't know WHAT happened. I mean, I have forgotten to pull the dark slide plenty of times. But I've realized, cursed, and fired again. It couldn't be a shutter problem because I used at least two different lenses... My gosh... is it possible that I confused the.... wait a minute... what if I added WAY too much HC-110? A quick look at this page will reveal what I think I did... I mixed for the Euro version.

Is that the culprit??
    No way. I've once misread my syringe and mixed teaspoons for milliliters on the HC-110 syrup; what should have been a one stop pull (TMY shot in a box camera) must have come up at two or more stop push. All images (exposed at approximately f/16, 1/50 or so in hazy conditions, so overexposed 2-3 stops for ISO 400) were scannable, though pretty harsh.

Too much developer will overdevelop.

Likwise, even if you got the film in the holders backward, there'd be *something* there -- specular highlights, ghosts of normal highlights; you'd only be 3 or so stops underexposed through the antihalation layer.

The only way you could get what you got is either completely fail to expose or fix before developing.

And now, we haven't *all* done it -- but I haven't developed *that* much film yet, perhaps a hundred rolls to date.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bpm32
    Turns out, my developer was shot... sat too long on the shelf in a container that wasn't completely sealed. Oops.
    This is possible for HC-110 stock solution, but extremely unlikely for syrup. The syrup will keep for many months in partially filled, not-terribly-airtight bottles. I've done it. It'll literally last *years* in glass with little or no airspace and a good seal on the lid.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well guess what?! The extremely unlikely has happened!!

I can be a real airhead sometimes but I have never in my life fubared film so badly. I have a system and it has always worked. The only changes have been the soup I chose I use. Anyway.... I did a couple of test shots and developed them in the HC-110, being extremely careful with my mixing and making sure I didn't use fixer in place of developer as was suggested. I thought maybe that's what I'd done. And since I thought I might have contaminated my fixer with developer, I mixed a new batch (not a big loss as the jug was about empty anyway). So I took the new film out of the fixer bath and the SAME THING HAPPENED. Nothing!

At this point, I'm thinking, "Oh my God!!" there's something wrong with my lens or something is wrong with my camera or I've completely forgotten how to photograph anything in the first place.

So I took another two test shots and this time I developed them in some old t-max concentrate I had laying around. Would ya'll care to guess what happened?

That's right! Two perfectly developed sheets of film.

Now I am seriously pissed off because two of the shots that got ruined were obtained under less than the safest circumstances, my husband had to assist (which he was happy to do but he honestly gets bored with the whole LF process), and it was to be the beginning of a photographic series that I've been planning in my head for months.

I thought I'd give HC-110 a try as it does have a good rep but I'll be damned (can I say that?) if I buy another Kodak product again (well - besides AZO). Can ya'll recommend a similar developer that is concentrated like the HC-110 and will yield similar results?

Oh, and while I am miffed as all get out, I would be remiss if I didn't get over it at least long enough to say "THANK YOU" to all of you who tried to help.

p.s. Is there any way to bring the film I ruined back from the dead? Can I sacrifice a chicken or something?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's right! Two perfectly developed sheets of film.
    I'm glad to hear you found the culprit. Good work!

p.s. Is there any way to bring the film I ruined back from the dead? Can I sacrifice a chicken or something?
    If a sacrifice to the camera gods works for ya, will you send me the recipe, as I'd STILL like to resurrect the negs that I lost due to this too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I
    s there any way to bring the film I ruined back from the dead? Can I sacrifice a chicken or something?
    Best way to do that is to eat it, along with a bottle of wine... or two. The photo gods may not be any happier, but you will.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now I am seriously pissed off because two of the shots
    that got ruined were obtained under less than the
    safest circumstances, ...

I thought I'd give HC-110 a try as it does have a good rep ...
    Well, live and learn. At least two valuable shots ruined running
    them through untried soup.

Then there is that mysterious HC-110? Large format, Rodinal
    is very concentrated. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    Well, live and learn. At least two valuable shots ruined running
    them through untried soup.
    Yes, well I didn't think HC-110 was such an exotic developer that it would require any such testing on my part. Espeically considering the wealth of information available about the stuff. Won't make the same mistake twice, I can assure you!

Then there is that mysterious HC-110? Large format, Rodinal
    is very concentrated. Dan[/QUOTE]

Huh??

Rodinal I have but didn't want to use because I didn't think the grain would suit me for these particular images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have developed negs to blank only to find out the negs I developed were never exposed. I found the exposed negs as part of another exposrue. In short I double exposed two negs and developed 4.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin