Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,651   Online: 778

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I use the same Ilford Fb in semi matte warm tone, and felt the same about the blacks. I single filter print and split filter print with it. I have found my way to get the blacks that I want.

I print to get all the shadow detail I want, develop and dry, then once I have a collection of 20-50 prints and selenium tone 1:19, at room temp, for about a minute or two, until I see the rich black I want.

I hope this works for you. If not, when I ask for ideas in the darkroom I like to try each one that I get. Being in the dark is better than being in front of a computer.

Patrick
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use Photographer's Formulary BW-65 paper developer on the MG-FB (VC)... after air drying and mounting, I also steam the print to add a little more to the blacks...
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that MGIV does not give up its blacks easily. As Donald Miller pointed out you may need to re-tailor your exposures to fit the paper. I have found that Agfa Nuetol or Edwal Black combined with selenium toning will provide good blacks. IIRC Zonal Pro works well but I don't know if it is still available.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest
    So what can I do to improve this issue (film developer, technique, paper developer, toner).

thx, Marc.
    Get a better paper. Develop it in amidol.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You could try strong warm selenium. KRS at 1+4 at 25 degrees C. You will also get a tonal shift from green (untoned) to blue as well as much deeper blacks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Get a better paper. Develop it in amidol.
    I am about quitting RC paper at all. For less critical work i want to use MG IV FB. Tonality is ok, only the blacks. A suggestion ?
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marc

I have used Multigrade IV quite extensively and reiterate what Donald Miller said that you might need to adjust the film exposure/development to "match" the multigrade curve. Selenium toner also slightly darkens the blacks in MGIV

As an alternative I have started using Oriental Seagull VC which gives me a deeper black still using Ilford MG developer.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For enlargements, I really like Efke/Adox/Cachet/Maco/J&C Expo graded FB in Michael Smith's amidol formula. Steve Anchell has also written good things about this paper in amidol (not sure which formula he uses). In Europe you should be able to get it from fotoimpex.de.

Most of the premium graded papers are good, though, and much is a matter of taste. Buy a few 25 packs and test them for yourself to see what you like.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin