Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,254   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Jeremy, using the slosher tray will not give the edge effects available with pyrocat (nor will rotary processing). Some form of stand development is necessary, in order to take advantage of the developer-film symbiotic-synergistic acutance relationship. tim
    Tim, I think we are on a different wavelength about what a slosher tray is, I mean the device just like the Summitek cradle. It doesn't move anything, it's just a piece of formed plastic that keeps the individual sheets separate, but allows the liquids to flow indiscriminantly.
    http://www.summitek.com/cradle.html

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious--always wanted to write that in a forum, too
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbysandstrom
    Don, I might I get the same effect as BTZS tubes with jobo at slowest rotation? Or, is there a way to let the tubes rest with no agitation.

Thanks
    Bob
    The development of edge effects that enhance sharpness is not a no/no go event that is totally dependent on type of agitation. Minimal and extreme minimal agitation is the way to go if you want to get the greatest possible sharpness with Pyrocat-HD, because allowing the film to rest for much of the time during development enhances edge effects. However, even with rotary processing, at least with those forms where the film is out of the developer for part of the time, you will get some edge effects. At those times when the film is out of the developer there should be local exhaustion of the developer at the border of high and low contrast areas, and this exhaustion produce edge effects.

So how much time does the film "rest" during rotary processing? Depending on configuration of the drum, and the total amount of developer used, I estimate that the film is out of the developer with most forms of rotary processing for well over 3/4 of the total time of development.

However, to get the most out of edge effects with rotary processing I would recommend a very dilute solution of Pyrocat-HD, say 1:1:150 or even 1:1:200. The more dilute the solution the more pronounced will be the edge effects. For alternative processes, which requuire longer develoment times, 1.5:1:150 - 1.5:1:200, will minimize general stain. Development times will be longer with the weaker dilutions, but when one wants maximum sharpness, time is your friend.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 07-23-2005 at 07:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone please enlighten me - I have not heard of the "cradle" mentioned in this thread, but copied the word "Summitek" from the thread and googled it, got the web site, but no cradle there. I get some idea from the description in Jeremy's post, but what is it? I am about to move from MF to 4X5 with PMK, and want to keep my hands free of the stuff. Most of my 4X5 up to now has been with HC110 or TMAX dev, in trays, with the top to bottom shuffle, very successful for 20-some years, but I can't see (no pun intended) doing this with gloves. I'm too cheap for JOBO, at least at this point, and am considering the tubes (self made), but am curious about the cradle thingy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone please enlighten me - I have not heard of the "cradle"

Gearge,
    Try this: http://tinyurl.com/9whv3

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier
    Someone please enlighten me - I have not heard of the "cradle" mentioned in this thread, but copied the word "Summitek" from the thread and googled it, got the web site, but no cradle there. I get some idea from the description in Jeremy's post, but what is it? I am about to move from MF to 4X5 with PMK, and want to keep my hands free of the stuff. Most of my 4X5 up to now has been with HC110 or TMAX dev, in trays, with the top to bottom shuffle, very successful for 20-some years, but I can't see (no pun intended) doing this with gloves. I'm too cheap for JOBO, at least at this point, and am considering the tubes (self made), but am curious about the cradle thingy.
    Photograpers' Formulary also sells them. I picked up a 4x5 one from them and its great. Sandy King walked me through his semi-stand method with Pyrocat and the negs are amazing. I think PF also makes 5x7 and 8x10 trays.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    Photograpers' Formulary also sells them. I picked up a 4x5 one from them and its great. Sandy King walked me through his semi-stand method with Pyrocat and the negs are amazing. I think PF also makes 5x7 and 8x10 trays.
    Yes, I used to think that the negative had to be in vertical orientation with stand and semi-stand development, but the cradle concept with the negatives on the horizontal works great with this kind of development as I saw with Steve's negatives.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Yes, I used to think that the negative had to be in vertical orientation with stand and semi-stand development, but the cradle concept with the negatives on the horizontal works great with this kind of development as I saw with Steve's negatives.

Sandy
    Any thoughts on stand development for roll film (35mm)? I have three rolls of FP4 I shot at a portrait class this week that I need to develop tonight. Any time for FP4? or should I just use regular development

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    Any thoughts on stand development for roll film (35mm)? I have three rolls of FP4 I shot at a portrait class this week that I need to develop tonight. Any time for FP4? or should I just use regular development

Steve
    Steve,

I would recommend minimal agitation for these negatives. Just take the normal development time at the indicated temperature and increase by 50%. Agitate for 1.5 minutes at the beginning, and then thereafter every three minutes for 10 seconds. Just make sure that the total development time is 16 minutes or more.

I would recommend the 1:1:100 dilution of Pyrocat-HD for this, but if you are more familiar with PMK you should also get good results with it.

Best

Shooter
    Large Format
    Funny you should ask this. I just finished doing testing for TMY in Xtol and Pyrocat HD and I found that for TMY I had better results in tray development than with the Jobo. Even at the slowest setting there was too much b+f and oxidation with the Jobo expert drums and Pyrocat.

I think you should do your own testing, but I gotta tell you, after using the Jobo there is no way I am going back to trays. I have decided to change to Xtol for my negatives, not as cheap as Pyrocat but certainly worth it if I dont have to stand there brushing or spinning negatives...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I can not speak to the experiences of others, but my own B+F levels with TMY and Pyrocat-HD in rotary processing are quite low. For example, when developing for a DR of 1.75 for straight palladium printing, using the 2:2:100 dilution at 72ºF, I get a B+F value of 0.15 with 7 minutes of development, with slow rotation.

Using the 1:1:100 dilution, for the same DR I need 13 minutes of development, which gives a B+F value of 0.35.

If you use a 2:1:100 dilution, time for the same DR (1.70) is about 12 minutes, but with a B+F of around 0.15.

In these cases DR and B+F levels are based on UV reading. They are considerably lower with Blue analysis.

Sandy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin