Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,473   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Jobo vs Tray with pyrocat hd

Hello everyone. I'd appreciate some feedback with regards to pyrocat hd jobo cpp2 vs tray developing. Any pros and cons other than the obvious convenience of the jobo. Being that pyro is supposed to produce a nice sharp image, will I gain even more apparent sharpness with trays? Also, I'm going to do my testing with efke 100 and fp4 Plus. Any pros and cons there would be helpful as well as I start down those roads.

Thanks All

Bob Sandstrom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Since the Efke is prone to scratching, you might prefer drums for that, but with careful technique it can be done in trays.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Jobo will give you more even development than tray development. For the greatest edge effects (greatest apparent sharpness) you may want to consider BTZS type tubes with minimal agitation. While FP4 will work for tray development, I, personally, would not use tray development with Efke.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Don, I might I get the same effect as BTZS tubes with jobo at slowest rotation? Or, is there a way to let the tubes rest with no agitation.

Thanks
    Bob

Bob,
    Pyrocat HD in a Jobo is about the perfect combination. the sharpness and tonal scale of pyro with the even agitation of the Jobo. I don't think your 4x5 negs will need more than this combination has to offer. Semistand development has its downsides also in terms of the potential for blotchy skies, etc. I advise you try the Jobo first and then see if you have any complaints.
    Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never had any trouble with even development or scratches (when I'm careful) in trays and I am using Efke. To be honest though, I am going to be making a slosher tray (like the Summitek cradle) so that I don't have to worry about it at all.

Donald, would using the slosher with minimal agitation be any different than using the BZTS tubes?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not Don, but I use both slosher trays and BZT type tubes with Efke 100 (4x5, 5x7 and 8x10) and Pyrocat-HD. Which system I use depends on how much sink space is available to me in my shared darkroom.

I find that my results are equivalent in the slosher trays and tubes with both minimum agitation and semi-stand agitation. I get even development and no neg damage with both systems (sloshers and tubes).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Tom, it's good to hear from someone with first-hand experience in both routes. I'm going to get some acrylic tomorrow and make a slosher for 3x4 negs.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not Don, but I use Efke 100 and minimal agitation with BTZS tubes and Pyrocat. The results are wonderful. It is the sharpest way to use pyrocat that I have found so far. Edge effects are stunning and razor sharpness is the rule. If you will read Donald's post, he says "minimal agitation" not "stand development" as was questioned.

The method with BTZS tubes (go to articles / how to / 4x5 development tubes, for the method of making your own tubes) is to use a dilute solution of pyrocat hd (1:1:100 or even less at times 1:1: 150) and do a full minute of agitation. Tubes are then stood on end and allowed to rest for three minutes in the correct temperature of water bath or ambient air. Ten seconds of agitation and stand on end again. This is the sequence until completion. The tubes listed require 240ml of working solution per sheet of 4x5 film. You will have full edge effects from pyro this way.

Jeremy, using the slosher tray will not give the edge effects available with pyrocat (nor will rotary processing). Some form of stand development is necessary, in order to take advantage of the developer-film symbiotic-synergistic acutance relationship. tim

P.S. Sorry, but I always wanted to throw those words together and, unfortunately, this thread was the recipient. Feel free to vomit on my monitor.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Jeremy, using the slosher tray will not give the edge effects available with pyrocat (nor will rotary processing). Some form of stand development is necessary, in order to take advantage of the developer-film symbiotic-synergistic acutance relationship. tim

P.S. Sorry, but I always wanted to throw those words together and, unfortunately, this thread was the recipient. Feel free to vomit on my monitor.
    BARF! Consider yourself slimed!

I think you've been in the corporate environment for too long if you're putting words like that together.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin