Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,143   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Drum devt. 4x5:unicolor vs jobo vs btzs: Help!!

Well, I'm trying to pick a dev't method, and am pretty sure I'll go with a drum, so wanted to get pros and cons from users. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The main con with the Jobo is the cost new.

Pros depending on which tank you use it can handle a lot of sheets. It'll work with a processer if you get one. You can get spare parts if you need them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am relatively new (1 1/2 year) to processing 4x5 on my Jobo CPE after years of using a variety of tanks and tray development methods. I'll never look back. Adjusting developer dilution (TMAX-RS in my case) and time is crucial, but once set, the results are rock solid. By the way I highly recommend the JOBO lift accessory... it makes adding and removing chemical a snap.

My negatives are now much more consistent and the crucial clear sky values are completely uniform with no density variations. All this while taming TMX with N+2 through N-1 development (I use a sloshing tray for N-2).

Admittedly expensive but I feel the results justify it.

Good luck!

Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second the vote for the Jobo. I picked up a used ATL-1500 on eBay. As far as I know service is still available for them (albeit not cheap) but the predictable and consistent results you get are well worth the cost. You can do B&W plus C41 and E6.

As Bob said, you'll need to adjust times; I find that B&W times are around 20% less than quoted in the tables for "small tank" development, due to the continuous agitation.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would get a Jobo IF I had a place to put one - things are a bit too crowded around here. Since space is at a premium, I'll stick with the Unidrum.

A Jobo would be nice though... I wonder if SWMBO would notice?

hehehe
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bet my Jobo uses basically the same space your unidrum does. The fact it sits on a Unicolor motorbase might be why -)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd go with the unicolor drum. I picked one up about a year ago with the base for about $25, after years of tank development. I haven't looked back since. There's a nice little article on the large format page describing how to process 4x5's in these (though I suspect you've already read it). I have had absolutely no problems with uneven development. The really great thing about these is that they use so little chemistry. For the cost, you might as well try one, if you feel it is insufficient, you can still buy a Jobo without losing much money. As far as the btzs tubes, they don't let you work in light and I think they're a bit overpriced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    I bet my Jobo uses basically the same space your unidrum does. The fact it sits on a Unicolor motorbase might be why -)
    Yeah, but I was really talking about the whole Jobo processor setup, not just the tank!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a Unicolor Uniroller.. I only stick two sheets in the drum per run because I don't have a spacer. I've tried making spacers but they all fail and my sheets stick to each other during development, leading to ruined negs.. I'm wanting a jobo drum with 2509 reels and spinning it on my Uniroller.

Jobo is great but $$$. My uniroller is way compact and cheap. Being able to do c41 and e6 is very attractive though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor
    I use a Unicolor Uniroller.. I only stick two sheets in the drum per run because I don't have a spacer. I've tried making spacers but they all fail and my sheets stick to each other during development, leading to ruined negs.. I'm wanting a jobo drum with 2509 reels and spinning it on my Uniroller.

Jobo is great but $$$. My uniroller is way compact and cheap. Being able to do c41 and e6 is very attractive though.

I just buy big bags of plastic cloths pins. Work good, just need to disgard them after use so that when the metal springs get corroded, they don't leave flakes all over your negative.

Uniroller works for be, except earlier this week when the mechanism inside that switches the direction of rotation failed and the drum spun around until it fell off spilling about 10 ounces of fixer out.
    Last edited by Sjixxxy; 07-28-2005 at 01:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin