Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,726   Posts: 1,515,061   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pushing Tri-X 400

I have a roll of tri-x 400 in 35mm that I would like to push one, two, or possibly 3 stops. The problem is that I need suggestions on what to develop it in w/o 1) having to buy anything, and 2) it coming out looking like crap. I've gone through the forums and most people seem to say diafine or xtol...neither of which i have. My current chemistry inventory is fx39, rodinal, gamma plus, and a multitude of bulk chemicals. Thanks for any suggestions!
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get out to 1600 in Rodinal with results that are similar to Microphen, a developer much more well known for its ability to push. I'm willing to bet you could get to 3200, too, but I haven't scanned those yet to see how my test went. These won't look awesome, but they'll be printable.

EI 800 Rodinal 1+50 20:00 60s initial + 10s every 3 minutes
    EI 1600, Rodinal 1+50 22:00 60s initial, 10s every 3 minutes

You'll notice that there isn't much difference between the two. I discovered that the reduced agitation controlled the highlights pretty well in both cases. The difference, therefore, was shadow detail. 800 still looked quite good. 1600 is clearly pushed.

My times are for my scanner, so that's kind of like a condenser enlarger.

allan

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I would recommed push 2 stop with Microphen, we do this combo all the time with good results

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpixels5
    I have a roll of tri-x 400 in 35mm that I would like to push one, two, or possibly 3 stops. The problem is that I need suggestions on what to develop it in w/o 1) having to buy anything, and 2) it coming out looking like crap. I've gone through the forums and most people seem to say diafine or xtol...neither of which i have. My current chemistry inventory is fx39, rodinal, gamma plus, and a multitude of bulk chemicals. Thanks for any suggestions!
    Since you have bulk chemicals, I suggest you take a look in the APUG Chemistry Recipes section. Look for the RAF Metol-Pyro Recipe and the ASA 3200 results for Tri-X:

http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=143
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why do you need to 'push' ?

Are the shadows underexposed, the midtones, what ? If you can describe the scene, the problem, and what you want, the answer will take care of itself.

Reason being, you will alter part of the curve and sacrifice the rest.

FX-39 can increase the lower midtones and shadows a bit, the midtones a lot, and the highlights not much. It would be my first choice for simple underexposure. You would extend the time and reduce the agitation. The same method would work with Rodinal, but Rodinal has about a stop less natural shadow speed. Microphen will build density in the highlights, and make for a starchy look.

Whatever you choose, shoot a test roll, trying hard to replicate the scene, and develop strips to fine tune the image.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The scene is pretty much 'low light, hand-held' situations. Mainly people. Grain isn't too much of a concern, although less is better. I'm more concerned with sharpness and tone. These are just personal snapshots, that will probably never be printed larger than 4x6 or 5x7.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think grain is going to be about the same with TXT out at those EIs, even comparing a solvent developer like Microphen to an acutance one like Rodinal. Rodinal seems a bit sharper to me.

I have some very unscientific tests at http://www.pbase.com/romosoho/trix_test

allan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    With Diafine, Tri-X can be rated to 1200 ~ 1600 without the effects of pushing. I use it at 1200 with nice results. Diafine doesn't do well in flat light, but other than that, it gives nice results with Tri-X.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    from the ones you have fx-39 will probably be the best bet.
    Since normal time (400) is 8 minutes, so 14 min should do it
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    XTOL 11 min 45 sec at 68F 5 sec agitation every 30 sec - low grain - good contrast - you will be able to enlarge them greatly if you like. TRI X at 1600 - I do this all the time.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin