Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,047   Online: 792

Thread: Stand Dev. Help

Images

Stand Dev. Help

Here's my problem:
    I want take a photo of the local Library. One interesting feature that I would like to include is a large Stainless Steel sundial that is in front of the building. It is concave and reflects the exterme glare of the sun at most times and angles, totally blocking up that area of the neg. I'm thinking that stand development might be just the ticket for this subject but I have no experience with it. My film choices on hand are Pan F, Efke 100, JandC 200, or Tri X. I would like to hand hold and use an Orange filter so My preference would be the 100 film. My developers, on hand are Rodi, Xtol, FG7 (and Sodium Sulphite), And I have D76 but would hate to mix it up just for the one roll.

Any thoughts on this?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Efke 100 with Rodinal 1:150 for 40 minutes in a tank just the size of the reel (for example, two reels in a two-reel tank, one in one, etc..) gives N-1.

But it won't bring in that highlight. The brightness ratio is almost certainly off the map.

Yours is a job for a local contrast mask if you want to go there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been doing Pan F+ at 50 and then in Rodinal 1+50 for 13 min and that has been a good combo here in NM.

I've also been shooting APX 100 at 100 and then Rodinal 1+100 for 22 minutes. I agigate 3 times every five minutes. This really tames the blown out clouds we get here in NM. This might work for you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are water-soluble "Dulling Sprays" intended to eliminate - or decease reflections. Sneak up and give the sundial a shot when no one will notice. It is a simple matter to wipe the residue off afterwards. Calumet should, or has been known in the past, to carry them.

Might even try WD-40 ...?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Here's my problem:
    I want take a photo of the local Library. One interesting feature that I would like to include is a large Stainless Steel sundial that is in front of the building. It is concave and reflects the exterme glare of the sun at most times and angles, totally blocking up that area of the neg. I'm thinking that stand development might be just the ticket for this subject but I have no experience with it. My film choices on hand are Pan F, Efke 100, JandC 200, or Tri X. I would like to hand hold and use an Orange filter so My preference would be the 100 film. My developers, on hand are Rodi, Xtol, FG7 (and Sodium Sulphite), And I have D76 but would hate to mix it up just for the one roll.

Any thoughts on this?
    I would suggest using a pyro or pyrocat developer to hold back the highlights. I took at shot a couple of years ago at Gordon Hutching's Pyro workshop of the sun shining through aspen leaves. Just to see we blew up the neg till we had a fairly good size disc of the sun. We could still see branches and leaves across the disc of the sun.

I working with Pyrocat-HD with semi-stand development right now.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin