Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,006   Online: 868

Shooter
    Multi Format

Good-bye T-max, Hello Rodinal.

Well,there"s another step in my ongoing plan to dekodak my B&W inventory.
    I have 8 rolls of Tri-x rated at 320 awaiting my attention. When I checked on the chemical situation I noticed that the T-Max developer had almost run out. Off the the photoshop (the place you walk/bike to).
    Sitting on the back shelf was a lone bottle of Rodinal gathering dust. Mac, the owner,gave it to me for 1/2 price.We both agreed that the evil yellow people have been treating their customers with distain.(He,by the way,had been in touch with the Illford rep. Yes, prayers are answered).
    My question is: Should I follow the massive development chart? What about agitation time and temps?
    Thanks All,
    Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I find the massive dev chart to be accurate. I use 68 degrees. I agitate Rodinal continuously in a JOBO drum, but when I used to use reels, I would agitate for the first 10 seconds and 5 seconds every 30 seconds after that.

I love that Rodinal. I have 6-8 large bottles at home in case of a nuclear winter.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    using rodinal and t-max/tri-x can result in increased grain. it really made HP-5 grainy. it is wonderful with agfa apx 100... which sadly is now out of production.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TPERSIN:

Who says AXP 100 is out of production? Aren't they just down for the holiday, doing a CLA? Seriously, if you cast about declarations like that I'd like to know if it's a fact.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

moose10101

Quote Originally Posted by tpersin
    it is wonderful with agfa apx 100... which sadly is now out of production.
    Here we go again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    tpersin,

See this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/17458-apx-discontinued.html to see why you're getting these reactions.

Apparently no official announcment about availability of given Agfa products has been made yet, so proclaiming that APX 100 is gone is premature.

Lee

If you like rodinal

If you like rodinal refer to appreciating Rodinal on the unblinking eye site. It is amazing what sodium ascorbate and a little bit of borax together with a 1:50 dilution can do to Delta 100. Incredible sharpness, fine grain with the tonality of rodinal. At 68 F with 1.4 g ascorbic acid in about 30 ml of water with slowly added .7 g of baking soda then put into graduate. Then add water to make up 490 ml of solution. Next add 10 ml of rodinal and a eigth of teaspoon of borax. Time for Delta 100 is about 13.5 minutes with 30 seconds initial agitation. One inversion per minute for the next two minutes then one inversion every 3 minutes until finished. Hats off to Patrick Gainer. His chemistry always works brilliantly!

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aligndont
    At 68 F with 1.4 g ascorbic acid in about 30 ml of water with slowly added .7 g of baking soda then put into graduate.
    Do you mean 7g or 0.7g of baking soda??

Quote Originally Posted by aligndont
    Then add water to make up 490 ml of solution. Next add 10 ml of rodinal and a eigth of teaspoon of borax.
    How much is exactly eight of teaspoon?
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

amount of baking soda

I mean .7 g because you want to make 2 g of sodium ascorbate per 500ml. of developing solution. Patrick gainer advises to first add the ascorbic acid to a small amount of water and then slowly add the baking soda until the fizzing stops. I again reccomend that you go to the unblinking eye site, go to articles and find appreciating rodinal. For purposes of this developer an eigth of a teaspoon of borax from a cooking measuring spoon means al level spoonful as an antifoggant. i made a mistake in my previous post . You neee to have 500ml of solution in your graduate and then add the rodinal and brax. At least that is the way I do it. Incidentally I tried this formulat 75F and had poor results. 68F gave truly excellent results. I am puzzled by this.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your help.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin