Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,825   Posts: 1,581,981   Online: 859
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    NikoSperi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    576
    Images
    15

    HC110 and the rebellion against imperial measures

    I've had it with the odd dilutions of HC110. It used to be my only developer, and I had to have an Excel sheet open to calculate soup quantities, which inevitably came out to weird amounts of concentrate. Then I tried Rodinal, and regardless of the qualities of the developer, I really loved the metric-friendly dilutions.
    So... as it's really hot here now and I have an easier time developing at 24°C than 20°C which resulted in stupidly short times in HC110B I decided that instead of working at 1:63, 1:39 or whatever, I am going down to Rodinal-like 1:50, 1:25, and possibly 1:100.
    Anyone care to join in this rebellion against archaic dilutions and share some times? Here are the first results I've gotten for a diffusion enlarger CI:

    HP5 at 400 in HC110 1:50 = 9 minutes at 20°C
    FP4 at 100 in HC110 1:50 = 15 minutes at 20°C (could be a tad bullet-proof)
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

    - Walker Evans on using color

  2. #2
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,482
    Images
    20
    I'm just glad that my graduates read in both ounces and ml (and I have one for US oz, British oz, and ml), so that I can pick which to use, depending on what I'm mixing and how much.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,670
    There was a method in Kodak's "madness". The different dilutions were meant to produce the same development times as some of Kodak's other developers. See the information in http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

  4. #4
    erikg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    pawtucket rhode island usa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,452
    I hear ya. I did the same thing a few years ago, I settled in on 1:50 HC110. Partly for simplicity, partly to extend the time out to a safer range. I have switched to other developers since, but I could go back and look up some times if you are interested.

  5. #5
    NikoSperi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    576
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I'm just glad that my graduates read in both ounces and ml (and I have one for US oz, British oz, and ml), so that I can pick which to use, depending on what I'm mixing and how much.
    Me too. And I am aware that 1:31 conveniently turns into a quart... But to cover a roll of 35mm for example, I'm looking at 20oz, not 32, in my tank, so where's the convenience? I need to measure 5/8th of an ounce which remains a PITA. ANd we're still talking dilution B... go into the higher ones and it becomes pretty much guesswork, or you're sucking up syrup into a syringe (mine are metric).
    Besides, I think 1:50 for HC110 could be a happy medium between the short times dil B gets, and hard-to-measure small quantities of goop.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

    - Walker Evans on using color

  6. #6
    NikoSperi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    576
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    There was a method in Kodak's "madness". The different dilutions were meant to produce the same development times as some of Kodak's other developers. See the information in http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/
    I didn't know the common denominator was standardized dev't times. I thought it was convenient US unit measurements (32 oz based).
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

    - Walker Evans on using color

  7. #7
    BradS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area, California
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,083
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    Me too. And I am aware that 1:31 conveniently turns into a quart... But to cover a roll of 35mm for example, I'm looking at 20oz, not 32, in my tank, so where's the convenience? I need to measure 5/8th of an ounce which remains a PITA. ANd we're still talking dilution B... go into the higher ones and it becomes pretty much guesswork, or you're sucking up syrup into a syringe (mine are metric).
    Besides, I think 1:50 for HC110 could be a happy medium between the short times dil B gets, and hard-to-measure small quantities of goop.

    I always mix HC-110 in metric units...

    My tank, a paterson system 4, takes something like 300ml per 35mm reel...so for one reel, I mix up 320ml of dev. and pour it all in...10ml + 310ml

    for one sheet of 4x5 (same tank) I do HC-110D (1+39), mix up 800ml...that's what, 20ml + 780ml...YMMV

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,011
    And for those who are not aware, US and Imperial (British) volume measurements are different (fluid ounce, quart, gallon)

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,512
    Images
    4
    Long live the furlong, rod and fathom! And grains and drams.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Rochester, NY/Toronto, ON
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    Long live the furlong, rod and fathom! And grains and drams.
    I am especially attracted to drams... you have your wee, your not-so-wee, and your FREAKIN' HUGE! drams.

    Slainte,

    Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin