Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,207   Online: 966

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Botched negs, what did I do wrong?

Hello Everybody!

I'm sorta new to developing but have processed about 10 rolls of 120 and 35mm B/W film myself in the past few months. The roll I just developed last night turned out to have some major problems, based on the look, my guess is light contamination. On this roll of 120 it looks like about 6 of the exposures suffer from this problem. According to my log all of the problem exposures were shot with the same lens. But some of the frames shot with this lens don't appear to exhibit the problem.

Here is a link to a page showing two of the frames that I've scanned. I made no attempt at nailing the white and black points of this scan so ignore how flat the image is.

http://www.grandprixsw.com/photograp...105/index.html

These were shot on my old Koni Omega Rapid 200. The last time I used this camera with this lens everything seemed to be ok.

So my question is: Does this look like a camera problem, or more like I somehow let some light in while loading the film into the magazine?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Definitely a light leak. Just guessing but looks like you have a light leak in your magazine. Check your neagatives. If the light leak is across more than one frame, I would then guess processing, but if its at a similar location for the frames fogged, then a magazine problem. Just guessing, so YMMV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Follow up

It looks like the first and last frames of this roll aren't suffering from this problem. All the other frames have the same issue with only the lower left hand corner not being over exposed. However the degree of the light leak seems to vary from frame to frame, on some it isn't so strong.

Derek

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dealy663
    .... However the degree of the light leak seems to vary from frame to frame, on some it isn't so strong.

Derek
    The amount of light leaking in depending on how long between exposures, and the orientation of the camera to the sun. Just a conjecture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'm a little closer to isolating the problem now

Well I'm a little closer to figuring out what is going wrong. I just went back and reviewed one of my rolls from May and sure enough the same sort of light leak occurs on 3 of the frames. At the time I just discounted the problem because I was hand holding a filter in front of the lens and just assumed I didn't have things lined up.

Well after checking my log I see that I used the same lens on the roll in May as I used on this roll I shot last saturday. On the May roll the other frames look fine, and they were shot with my 58mm and 90mm lenses. The problem frames were shot with my 135mm lens.

On the roll that I shot last saturday all but one frame were shot with the 135mm lens. However there is one frame on that roll that was shot with the 135mm that is just fine (the first frame on the roll).

I'm quite perplexed about why this particular lens could becausing such a problem. I just put the lens on the camera and removed the film back looking for some sort of light leak but don't see anything.

Any ideas?

Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a light leak on a Mamiya 645 that only showed up if the film was left in the camera in the sun for a decent amount of time. Had me perplexed until I asked a repairman and he said if the extra density shows up outside the image area then it's almost certain the leak is the back, which was the case for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dealy663
    Well after checking my log I see that I used the same lens on the roll in May as I used on this roll I shot last saturday. On the May roll the other frames look fine, and they were shot with my 58mm and 90mm lenses. The problem frames were shot with my 135mm lens.

[...]

I'm quite perplexed about why this particular lens could becausing such a problem. I just put the lens on the camera and removed the film back looking for some sort of light leak but don't see anything.

Any ideas?

Derek
    (First, I hope you appreciate what a fine lens that KO 135mm can be. It is a bit rare, too.)

As to the inconsistency of the occurence, a big factor is the stress on the camera caused by various things: using a tripod (or not using one), the way it is gripped, or if your lens has its own tripod socket. Gaffer tape the back's edges and be happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use black electrical tape on the back of my old C330f at times, if the film sits a while or if I'm in lots of sun at an angle with the back. Do the edges and see if it works. Tape is cheap, images are priceless! tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I just posted this in another thread - but it bears repeating: I strongly, strongly echo the sentiments about the light leaks and the fact that they are very tricky and dependant on many factors. These appear to be sourcing from the camera not from development, as they are in the same spot on both negs. The intensity can depend (or even not occur at all) on many factors already discussed here. Time to check out the gentelman with the seal kits!

Shooter
    35mm
    You may have a sticky shutter. Is the problem related to just one focal elnght, Load up a roll and test a few shots with each focal lenght. I would guess that this could be caused by shutter blades that are not closing.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin