Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,182   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

New film (to me) to play with

Evening all. Been given a couple of 35mm rolls of Fomapan 400 to play with. Been told I'm in for a treat? Anyone out there tried it? If so; pray, do tell all. And for developer I should use...........

Thanks one and all

B.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I purchased some 120 from Freestyle a few weeks ago. Intend to use pyrocat [my favorite developer]. Would be nice to have developing times for not only the 400, but also for the 100 and 200 asa films.

jon
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got fairly decent results shooting it at 200 and going for 10 minutes in Microdol.

Supposedly Fortepan 400 has an extra iso 50 layer to help preserve details in the highlights, but I haven't shot enough of the stuff to really see if that helps much.

There are some development starting points at Eight Elm, the local Fortepan supplier here in Toronto.
    Jon :: 18pct.com
    :: photoblog | tumblr | twitter | flickr | linkedin ::

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgrey
    Evening all. Been given a couple of 35mm rolls of Fomapan 400 to play with. Been told I'm in for a treat? Anyone out there tried it? If so; pray, do tell all. And for developer I should use...........

Thanks one and all

B.
    Rodinal if you want to feature the grain. Prescysol EF if you don't.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been shooting Fomapan 400 in 35mm and developing it in Gainer's PC-Glycol split-stock developer for 10:00 at 20C. This works well for me. I've also developed a couple of rolls in D-76 with good results, but I don't recall the times offhand (I probably got them off of the Massive Dev Chart and/or the film's box). Something about Fomapan's grain structure appeals to me, but I can't really describe it; it's a very subjective "feel" thing, and as such you might or might not feel the same way about it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Something about Fomapan's grain structure appeals to me, but I can't really describe it; it's a very subjective "feel" thing.

Understand that: I feel the same way about my Volvo! Thanks for the input guys; some good food for thought. Question! Fomapan is akin to, reminds you of....Pan F.......FP4.....Tri X of old..... or??? Just trying to visualize something I've never seen.

All the best

B.

jon
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, I'm a dumbass, I didn't realize you wrote Fomapan and not Fortepan. Must be this stomach flu I've got makin' my vision go all blurry. Sorry!
    Jon :: 18pct.com
    :: photoblog | tumblr | twitter | flickr | linkedin ::

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used quite a bit of Fomapan 400. Its decent film but grainier than films like Tri-X. If you are ok with that it makes nice pictures.

Usual soup here is D-76 straight for this film. Less grainy than 1:1. Expose generously and develop gently. Its a little gritty if you underexpose.

Mike D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've found it to be a good every-day film. I dunk it in HC110 dil. H (1:62) for 13-minutes @ 68°. At first didn't understand how to handle the curl. Now I use a weighted bottom clip (lead).
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-D
    I've used quite a bit of Fomapan 400. Its decent film but grainier than films like Tri-X.
    My subjective impression is that Fomapan 400 is slightly less grainy (in terms of grain size) than Tri-X, but the Fomapan grain tends to be more distinct (as in sharply-defined grains). I don't have any quantitative measures on this, though; it's just from me "eyballing" prints and scans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin