Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,650   Online: 878

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Triethanolamine (TEA) in the UK?

Does anyone know of a supplier of Triethanolamine (TEA) in the UK, or perhaps in europe?

I habe read here that it may improve the keeping qualities of Glycin once in solution.

Barry

www.rose-chemicals.co.uk
    Fluka brand from Europe,97% TEA.
    Care,not possible IMO to make hot TEA completely risk free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson
    www.rose-chemicals.co.uk
    Fluka brand from Europe,97% TEA.
    Care,not possible IMO to make hot TEA completely risk free.
    Thanks Alan for your very promt reply, I have emailed Rose-Chemicals.

Thanks also for the warning. I will read up as much as possible before use.

Regards

Barry

Images
    TEA has a higher flashpoint than propylene glycol. Of course, any hot liquid is dangerous. Heat it no more than is necessary for the task. It darkens above about 200 F.

It also serves as a good preservative for amidol. I use a 1% solution for those cases where a small amount is required.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    TEA has a higher flashpoint than propylene glycol. Of course, any hot liquid is dangerous. Heat it no more than is necessary for the task. It darkens above about 200 F.

It also serves as a good preservative for amidol. I use a 1% solution for those cases where a small amount is required.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll take care.

If I can get some of course! Just had a reply from Rose Chemicals saying 'we can no longer supply this item'. Is this a sign of the times?

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought 500ml of TEA from Rayco before they closed/were sold.

The guy who is supposed to have bought Rayco is David Jenkins who posted his phone number on photo.net for people to contact him back in May (I'll PM it to you rather than post it here, just in case he no longer wants it public). Given that there is still no web site, at least 6 months later, I don't know if he is still interested or has even started trading as Rayco.

Cheers, Bob.

P.S.. I'm surprised about Rose Chemicals - TEA seems to be quite widely used in the beauty-care industry which they claim to supply... Ho hum...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    I'm surprised about Rose Chemicals - TEA seems to be quite widely used in the beauty-care industry which they claim to supply... Ho hum...
    FWIW, the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) has a web site with information on the chemical composition of many household products. Click the "Ingredients" link, type in a chemical name, and see what it's used in. TEA, as you say, is used in a lot of "beauty" products (hand lotions, makeup, shaving cream, etc.), as well as in other products (bleaches, battery cleaners, etc.). The percentages are usually pretty low (1-10% in most cases). I'd imagine this product list is very US-centric, and there might be differences for some products because of different national regulations on specific chemicals. It's also incomplete and sometimes inaccurate (I somehow doubt if Oil of Olay Facial Cleansing Lotion is really 99% TEA).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin