Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,912   Posts: 1,556,250   Online: 1063

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bleach then Tone or Tone then Bleach?

A quick question :

I have a print which needs a few highlights lifting to give it a bit of sparkle, and I also want to Selenium tone it. Which do I do first so as to not leave any bleaching/toning marks, tone or bleach?

It is printed on a Kentmere Fibre base paper.

Phill
    Last edited by philldresser; 08-07-2005 at 08:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I'm bleaching to lift highlights and toning in selenium, I use the selenium 1st - but make sure the selenium doesnt get to the hightlight tones, as you wont be able to bleach them then. The selenium will "fix" the image against the action of the bleach. I think it's called "drag-bleaching" ?. BArry Thornton describes it in one of the chapters in Edge of Darkness.

good luck with it phill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If there is enough density in the mid tones and shadows I'd suggest that you mix a very weak solution of potassium ferricyanide and place the whole print in it. As a starting point try a dilution of 1 part bleach stock solution to 50 parts water and test it on an old print of similar tonality. This will bleach the highlights and should have little or no effect on the darker values. In the good old days printers regularly slightly over printed the highlights and bleached them back to the required density.

Selenium tone after bleaching.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    "n the good old days printers regularly slightly over printed the highlights and bleached them back to the required density"

Jay Dusard is a master of this.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all

Les
    The print has 'a lot' of density and I have read the 'whole print' scenario in your book so I am keen to give it a try. Bleach first, tone after.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Phill
    I have always been under the impression that if you bleach first and then Selenium, you *MUST* refix the print before adding the selenium.
    This would not be the case with sepia but for sure with Selenium
    Guys am I correct in thinking this???

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    selenium contains fixer, so there is no need

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    "n the good old days printers regularly slightly over printed the highlights and bleached them back to the required density"

Jay Dusard is a master of this.

lee\c
    Ralph Stiener also used this method to get the sparkling highlights in his work with clouds.

If you do bleach the whole print, make sure you use a tray next size bigger then the print. Any movement of the solution at the corners of the tray will increase the bleaching action in the corners of the print.

"Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    It is not unusual for toned prints to bevelop spots if belached afterwards.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin