Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,964   Posts: 1,523,309   Online: 1229

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sod's Law

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Murphy was an optimist!
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course, another option is to place an empty reel on top. That is what I do since I am in a community darkroom space where little things like clips do not last.

This reminds me of my first few sheets of 4X5 that I developed, the only ones without streaking from uneven agitation were the ones that I didn't really care about. Everything I liked was trashed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I guess I have made about every mistake possible (oops, now I’ve done it!). I once loaded a single 35mm tank requiring 250ml with 6 oz. The results were similar to yours. A couple of unreproducable (weather related) frames ruined.

Actually, Murphy’s Law is a corollary of Dr. Finagle’s Law of Maximum Inconvenience which states: “If an event can occur in more than one manner, it will always occur in that manner creating the maximum inconvenience to the observer.” I have given proof to this “law” many times.

Then there is “dr bob’s” corollary: “If one performs an act with the foreknowledge that there is at least one deleterious result, that result will ultimately occur.” In other words, if you do something stupid knowing that it is stupid, you will pay the price. E.g., the guy who lights his charcoal grill with gasoline!
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Mutch
    I know Murphy, who is Sod?
    Murphy's Dad!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Taylor
    I have a Paterson tank, with the clip. My darkroom has been in storage for almost a year - rather foolishly I stored the clip on the plastic spindle, so it has stretched and doesn't keep the reel fully in place.

Unfortunately it took a ruined film to discover the problem.
    My Paterson tank is so old it never had a clip. I use a rubber band. When it disintegrates, I use another rubber band. I'm only 78 so I don't forget...what were we talking about?
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    Murphy was an optimist!
    His given name was Edsel.
    Gadget Gainer

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I've done that!

According to some of my students, A nice piercing will keep those patterson circle clips handy, right under your nose if necessary,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Taylor
    I have a Paterson tank, with the clip. My darkroom has been in storage for almost a year - rather foolishly I stored the clip on the plastic spindle, so it has stretched and doesn't keep the reel fully in place.

Unfortunately it took a ruined film to discover the problem.
    OH well. Don't go crazy looking for another plastic clip though. Mine are long gone, so now I just use a rubber band around the spindle. Cheap, effective, and easily replaceable. What's not to like?

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon
    Sounds like Murphy's law to me. Same as a piece of buttered bread will always land buttered side down...
    This is actually no true. Rather, the chance of landing butter down is proportional to the price of the carpet, and rises if it's jam instead of butter.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Imagine this: yesterday I had four 120 films to develop, two taken on Saturday during an unrepeatable trip to London. The other two were unimportant, and easily replicated test films. These were randomly loaded, two to a reel and the two reels put into a three reel Paterson tank. I used one litre of fluid to cover the two reels instead of one and a half litres that would have been required for three reels. Still with me? Unfortunately, as it transpired, I didn’t push the second reel all the way to the bottom of the centre support tube; the result is a sort of high tide mark all along the edge of two of the films.
    Can you guess which two films were ruined?
    Dave
    I've had this happen, caused by the reel sliding up the center column during inversion. Even with the retaining ring I now give the bottom of the tank a good whack on the palm of my hand before putting it down.

Mark Layne
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin