Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,983   Online: 864

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sod's Law

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Sod's Law

Imagine this: yesterday I had four 120 films to develop, two taken on Saturday during an unrepeatable trip to London. The other two were unimportant, and easily replicated test films. These were randomly loaded, two to a reel and the two reels put into a three reel Paterson tank. I used one litre of fluid to cover the two reels instead of one and a half litres that would have been required for three reels. Still with me? Unfortunately, as it transpired, I didn’t push the second reel all the way to the bottom of the centre support tube; the result is a sort of high tide mark all along the edge of two of the films.
    Can you guess which two films were ruined?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup.

To avoid situations like that, I first prepare the developer, after that I load the film, not inverse. Very handy for people who only remember things from noon till 12 o'clock (like me)

I made markings on a large plastic pot with the amount of water per film (+ how much Rodinal to add in 1+50) and every possible combination for the three reels that fit my Paterson tank: 3 x 35mm, 2 x 120, 1x35 + 1x120, etc...

G
    (I even forgot how many ml's I use for 1 film)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like Murphy's law to me. Same as a piece of buttered bread will always land buttered side down...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave

Why does this always happen to the films that you want to keep?

However this a common problem and one which Paterson were well aware of. They provide a circlip with all the deep tanks so that you can keep a lesser number of reels under the solution by stopping the reels moving when inverting. Do you have one?

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    Dave

Why does this always happen to the films that you want to keep?

However this a common problem and one which Paterson were well aware of. They provide a circlip with all the deep tanks so that you can keep a lesser number of reels under the solution by stopping the reels moving when inverting. Do you have one?

Phill
    Yes Phill, I have one. It's kept safe in a draw so I don't lose it!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dave - I feel for you. It always is the important ones that suffer!

I went to orkney a couple of years ago - we drove there, it took about 26 hours all in all, door to door. I took loads of pics and excitedly loaded my reels to develop when i got home the following week. I prepared the developer , gave the a prewash, then completely unthinkingly, unscrewed the lid of the tank, letting all the bright shining sunlight shine directky onto the films, then poured the developer on before I realised what I'd done. DOH! always the important ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    However this a common problem and one which Paterson were well aware of. They provide a circlip with all the deep tanks so that you can keep a lesser number of reels under the solution by stopping the reels moving when inverting.
    I have a Paterson tank, with the clip. My darkroom has been in storage for almost a year - rather foolishly I stored the clip on the plastic spindle, so it has stretched and doesn't keep the reel fully in place.

Unfortunately it took a ruined film to discover the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave -

Been there, done that.

I like to look at these experiences as a lesson-learned. I know that I will almost certainly not make that particular mistake again.

But what I am finding is that the number of bad-things that I will not do again now exceeds the number of things that I do right! Aarggh!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Yes Phill, I have one. It's kept safe in a draw so I don't lose it!
    Dave, I feel your pain but Gawd!! Do I love that statement!!!
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon
    Sounds like Murphy's law to me. Same as a piece of buttered bread will always land buttered side down...

I know Murphy, who is Sod?
    Photography start in our minds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin